Chapter 31

Charlotte's POV 

I sat straight up in the hospital bed, the heart monitor going ballistic with the fear and panic I felt.  

"You son of a bitch" I cursed.  

"I wouldn't be calling me names with your family in the other room" Peter said.  

"If you hurt them, I swear-" I started.  

"You'll what?" He sneered. "You'll kill me?" 

I shivered, trying to take deep breaths. "What do you want?" 

"I want you to go home. Bring the police, and you'll be sorry" Peter replied simply.  

"Why?" 

"All in good time" Peter said.  

"How do I know you haven't killed them?" I demanded.  

"You don't" 

I heard the click indicating Peter had hung up.  

"Damn it!" I cussed again, slamming the phone down and shoving it away. I brought my knees up to my chest and covered my eyes with my hands. My head pounded and I felt feverish.  

Clammy and scared, I climbed out of bed after yanking the IV out again, finding no other option but to do what he wanted. I couldn't gamble on my families lives. I didn't have a lot of family left that I knew of. Mom, Dad, Morgan, Grandpa, and Aunt Debbie (who had a drinking problem). That was the extent of my family. Most of them had died when i was younger or we had no contact with them.  

I slipped out into the hall after spotting the nurse talking to a doctor. I walked, hobbled really, to the end of the hall and took a left. To my disappointment, it was only more rooms. I had picked the wrong hallway.  

I turned back when a croaky voice caught my attention. I backtracked a few steps and saw Harry in a hospital bed, also hooked up to an IV, but he looked better.  

"You're awake" he got up and padded over to me, yanking the IV behind him like a dog on a leash. I was instantly enveloped by his arms. This calmed me a little, momentarily distracting me from my mission. 

"I've been in to visit you everyday" Harry told me proudly.  

"I wish I could say the same" I grimaced. We pulled away and he kissed me. I melted into him, savouring the familiar feeling.  

"How are you?" I asked after we parted. I brushed the yellowing bruises in his faces and he caught it and kissed my fingertips.  

"Much better. The doctors liked your handy work with the stitches. It's just a matter of healing I guess. I think they are just keeping me here for observation at this point. How about you? I wish I could have been there when you woke up" 

"I'm better" I replied, even though I felt like crap. Everything still ached but I didn't want Harry to worry. He, on the other hand, looked much better. Well rested and taken care of.  

"Where are we?" I asked.  

"They were keeping us in your hometown" Harry told me. Good thing I didn't have to travel far then. Come to think of it, this hospital was familiar.  

"And what's the date?" 

"August 17" Wow, I'd been gone a long time. Of course, my great reunion with my family had to be spoiled like this. I was so scared but I didn't see a solution.  

"You look better" he commented"But you sure you're okay?" Harry asked, cocking his head to the side.  

"Yeah" I nodded, hoping he wouldn't question further.