Chapter 22

Liam's POV

The usual chatter on the television bored me. I heard someone messing around in the kitchen so I got up to investigate.

I found Charlie putting the finishing touches on an omelet along side some fruit and milk to take down to Niall.

"Hey" she jumped and turned around.

"Geez, Liam! You scared me"

I chuckled "Sorry. Is that for Niall?"

Charlie nodded "Yeah"

"You mind if I take it?" I asked "I want to see him"

She gave me a warm smile "of course! It's ready to go"

"Thanks Charlie" I got up and took the tray.

"Oh! And would you give him some more Advil if he needs some?"

"Of course" I replied and went down the stairs.

"Hey mate" I greeted "how ya feeling?"

Niall's teeth chattered and he pulled up the blankets "it's bloody freezing down here!"

Now that he said something, I felt the chill too. In fact, it was very cold. Colder than normal.

I set the tray down and got the blanket from the other cott and set it on him then put the tray on his lap.

"Thanks Liam"

"Yeah I slaved over that stove for a long time making you that" I said.

Niall eyed me "okay okay, you have Charlie to thank for the meal, I was merely the delivery man"

"You must be starved" Niall said sarcastically "want a bite?"

"No" I laughed "you need all the strength you can get"

He grinned around a bit of food.

"It's good to have you back Niall" I told him.

"It's good to be back" Niall replied.

"How you feeling?" I asked.

"The blood stains are kinda freaking me out" he admitted.

"Maybe there is something around here I can clean it with?" I offered.

I got up and went to the bathroom. I opened the cupboards under the sink and shuffled around, glancing at all the labels. A black space caught my eyes; an opening at the back of the cupboard.

I reached in and slid it further open, revealing a shaft.

"Niall" my voice was tight.

"What?" I heard him trying to get up. He probably heard the tone of my voice.

"McKenna was right. This thing opens" I said, baffled. I believed her then but this still came as a surprise.

"Then go in it?"

"And leave you guys?" I replied, looking back at Niall.

"The last time McKenna found that, it locked. This could be our only shot to get out or at least get word out. Liam, you need to go" Niall said.

"But what if something happens to you guys?" I asked.

"You're just going to have to take that risk"

If I leave, the door would probably lock and if I went in, who knows what would happen to me or to them.

"We wait to die or we fight" Niall said softly. I nodded slowly because I knew he was right; I had to go. I had to try.