Thirty-four

"What? What do you mean?" I asked.

"What I mean is that, there we won't be needing dates for the Autumn-Fall party! Aren't you happy?"

"I guess." I replied, "But, Eun Woo must've took enough courage to ask me out.. I don't know, I probably am happy but I'm just distracted by a lot."

"I can tell." Suzy spoke. "But, I'm here, Ji-Eun and Chungha are here for you, just remember okay? Ji-Eun might be having a hard time, but it's okay. She can get through what she is going through with us by her side."

"Yeah." I replied, smiling a bit.

That was when suddenly our phones suddenly started ringing. I looked at Suzy, as she looked at me, and that was when I reached for my phone to reveal it was Ji-Eun who was calling us.

"Who'll answer?" Suzy asked.

Ji-Eun was starting a group call. I didn't answer as I pressed on the check mark. Ji-Eun's video camera was turned off, but you could hear her sniffling on the other side.

"Ji-Eun?" We both called out.

Ji-Eun didn't answer as she was sobbing. I felt so bad. I looked at Suzy, who had a shocked, yet sad look on her face.

"Hyun.. Suzy.." She called out.

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry."  Ji-Eun spoke. "I-I'm just apologizing because I'm not being the leader that I should be.. I feel so bad.."

"Hey, it's alright." Suzy replied. "What happened? Did you get scolded by Mr. and Mrs. Lee? Tell us what exactly happened."

"Not only that."

"Then?" Suzy asked impatiently.

"I'm no longer student council president."

There was silence in the room. I froze as Suzy's mouth dropped open. Ji-Eun loves her job as a president, and I could just feel her pain by her sobs. Ji-Eun's sobs brought me out of my thinking.

"You aren't joking." Suzy deadpanned.

"N-No." Ji-Eun stuttered. "They said what I did was irresponsible, and that I don't deserve to be a leader if I can't lead them myself."

"I'm so sorry." I spoke. "W-We never knew that this was coming, please don't cry, Eun. We are here for you, please don't cry."

"I just feel empty." She muttered. "Like, something was being taken away from me, and like I was just being so chill about it.. I deserve it."

"No, no." Suzy interfered. "Please don't think that, you are a great leader. What happened was just a trial, we'll have more problems in the future."

Ji-Eun weeped, "I feel empty."

My head was so messed up. I took a deep breath, I couldn't hear what Suzy was saying, I could only hear my heart beating and the voices in my head telling me what I should say.

I looked around my room, before looking back at my phone. I took a very, deep breath that couldn't be heard, before I opened my mouth:

"I mean, I just-"

"I love you." I interfered.

There was silence again, it was probably not because I never told them that I love them first. Being someone who is shy and grew up as a reserved person, it's hard revealing feelings.

I could hear the sobbing of Ji-Eun on the other line calming down. It was a relief that only three words stopped her from crying hard like she was earlier.