Chapter 59 : Keeping Up

Katniss POV

Peeta was okay. His body temperature dropped low and he has a sore ankle but besides that he’s fine. Tonight there is a fifties party. All the girls are going shopping to get poodle skirts and stuff. I have another idea up my sleeve. We arrive at a costume store and all the girls get matching poodle skirts in different colors that are in all different colors. Annie is sea foam, Glimmer is pink, Johanna is purple, Clove is red. They each get a white crop top to match. The girls are begging me to tell them my idea so I give in. I grab the things I need and head in to a dressing room. I slip on black nylon leggings and a black crop to that squeezes my shoulder and shows my collarbone. I put on black stilettos and step out. They all squeal with excitement. “So you’re Sandy from Greace after she changes.” Johanna says smirking. I nod and change back into my clothes. We purchase everything and then Glimmer goes on and on about going to a kiosk and trying out makeup styles. We finally give in and each ale a seat. My stylist has bright pink lipstick on and bleach blonde hair, great. I tell her my costume and her mouth gapes open. She rummages through her stuff and then starts dabbing me with a bunch of stuff all over. After a few hours I get tired sitting here and she finally says to open. I look in the mirror and see that my eyes are outlined in black with silver glitter all over my face to look like I’m shimmering. My lips are a deep bright red. My hair has a poof on top and it is pulled into a high ponytail and curled. I look gorgeous. I look around at everyone else. They each have a winged eyeliner and the color of their skirt as another skinny layer of eyeliner. There is a gem at the end of both eyes. Clove has bright red lipstick like mine and her hair is pulled to the left in a curled ponytail. Glimmer has bright pink lipstick and her blonde locks curled running down her back with a poof on the top of her head pulled back with a black hair bow. Annie has a salmon lip color and her hair is pin straight with a poof on top and two pieces of hair curled in the front of her face. Johanna has a high ponytail like mine and a nude lip color. We thank the ladies and leave, bags in hand. We get back to my house and get dressed. I feel a little left out no thatching but I also know I look really hot. I do a few touch ups and then we head out. We drive to the fifties diner where the party is located and head inside. We spot the guys, all of them in jeans, a white shirt, and leather jacket with their hair curled. The girls run up to the guys but I have to take it a little slower because of the heels. I’m smiling when I’m caught off guard. I look up to see Jeremy, a guy from my history class, standing in front of me. He has a devilish grin looking down at me. “Hi?” I ask sarcastically. 

“You look so hot tonight.” he whispers. 

“Oh so you think because I’m dressed like this it means I’m gonna cheat on my boyfriend and give you a little something?” I say flirty. 

“You read my mind.” he says. 

“Well then.” I say. I step back look him up and down then slap him hard across the face. he cracks his jaw and stares at me. 

“So you like foreplay and you like it rough.” he says. I smirk and kick him in the groin. He bends over and falls to his side. I step over him carefully and walk over to my friends who are now applauding. I sit down and look at the menu. I order a black and white milkshake and a lady on roller blades brings it over to me. I sip it and feel warm lips on my neck. I turn around and find Peeta’s slicked back blonde curls covering his eyes. 

“You look incredible.” he whispers in my ear and bites my earlobe. I let out a loud breath and spin back to my shake. He kisses my collarbone but I pretend not to care. He goes away and returns back with a basket of fires. I give him and start eating. The night goes by and we dance a lot. Peeta drives me home. I let him into my room and change into a light blue silk nightgown. I keep my hair up and just wipe off the lips and black liner. I keep the glitter on though. I walk back outside and start to sing. 

I got chills, they're multiplying
And I'm losing control
'Cause the power, you're supplying
It's electrifying!

You better shape up, 'cause I need a man
And my heart is set on you
You better shape up, you better understand
To my heart I must be true
Nothing left, nothing left for me to do

You're the one that I want
You are the one I want
Oo,Oo,Oo honey

You're the one that I want

You are the one I want
Oo, Oo, Oo honey

You're the one that I want
You are the one I want
Oo, Oo, Oo, the one that I need
Oh yes indeed

If you're filled with affection
You're too shy to convey
Meditate my direction
Feel your way

You're the one that I want
You are the one I want
Oo, Oo, Oo honey

You're the one that I want
You are the one I want
Oo, Oo, Oo honey

You're the one that I want
You are the one I want
Oo, Oo, Oo, the one that I need
Oh yes indeed

You're the one that I want

I jump down on the bed next to him and give him a peck on the lips. I curl up next to him. 

I wake up alone in my bed confused. When did he leave? Why did he leave? I get up and grab a smoothie. I go upstairs and change into athletic shorts and a t shirt with my running sneakers and hair in a ponytail. I grab my phone and earbuds. I step outside and the sticky humid air hits my skin. This is really sucky running weather. I shrug it off and then start out jogging. I speed up along the sidewalk. I then break out in a sprint. I watch my feet below me and step to the beat of the music playing through my head. I fly throughout the air as my toe get’s caught under a rock. I bang my knee and crash to the ground. I yell and try to stand. My one strong leg helps me to stand and walk back to my house. I slam the door shut and unplug my earbuds. I grab an ice pack and place it on my knee. I pass out after taking some medication. 

I feel the ice be removed from my knee and then a new and colder one replaced. I flutter my eyes open and see Prim putting gauze around it to keep it in place. “Thanks little duck.” I say with a raspy voice. She nods.

“Just a kneecap cruise. Should heal in a few days. Quick enough to not hurt you on moving day.” she says and flicks on the TV. Vampire Diaries is doing a marathon event. I sit back and watch. It’s only the first season which I have seen every episode on. I sit up a little and watch intently. I hear a frantic knock on the door Prim gets up and gets the door. She swings it open and rapid footsteps run my way. I see Madge run into the living room. She has tears down her eyes and she’s hiccuping. She is wearing a tank top and has bruises all up her arms and one big gash on her shoulder. Prim hurries in with a first aid kit and sits her down. She is trembling and shaking and I can’t stand it. I stand up and wince at my knee but keep walking towards the door.

“Take care of her Prim. I’ll be right back.” I say through gritted teeth. I run through the streets and towards Gale’s house. I barge inside and trip over a bottle. The house reals of alcohol. “Gale!” I yell angrily. I run to the kitchen and see hime sitting there with his head down. He is weeping. “What the hell are you doing to her? Why? Why are you doing this to her? To yourself?” I yell. He looks up and his eyes are stone grey. He yells and smashes a bottle in his hand. 

“I tried to move on. I am so in love with you Katniss. Always have always will. I used Madge to try and cover it up and move on from you but nothing worked. I began getting so angry at myself and hit her. Over and over until my anger was lessoned.” he says with a trembling lip. He grabs my face and kisses me. 

“No! I’m sorry but I don’t. But hurting Madge, who is a fantastic girl, won’t help.” I say when I pull away. I run out of the house and slam the door. I cough once I breath in the fresh air.