Chapter 43 : Lust

Katniss POV

I wake up to the delicious Thanksgiving smells swarming my house. Everyone is coming over at 4:00 and right now it’s 12:00. I get dressed in a gold sequin dress skater style with a v neckline and navy tights with black suede high heels. I braid the top of my head and pull it into a high ponytail. I apply light makeup and head downstairs. Mom and Prim are working around the kitchen. Plutarch has the table set all long and pretty. I hear a knock at the door and run to get it. I check my watch and it’s only 2:00. I swing the door open and see Mason is jeans and a light blue dress shirt. I smile and close the door behind me as we step outside. We sit on my porch swing. I hope he makes this quick because I’m not wearing a coat and it’s November. “You look stunning.” he says. 

“Thank you. You too. Why are you here so early?” I say. 

“Well I wanted to give you this so you can wear it later.” he says. He places a small red velvet box in my lap. I open it up and see a silver necklace with three keys on it, one is rose gold with a heart shape on top, one silver with a circle shape on top, and one is gold with a clover shape on top. I gasp and cover my mouth, shaking my head. 

“I can’t take this.” I whisper. 

“Yes you can. Turn around.” he says. I spin and he takes the necklace out of the box and puts it on my neck. I play with it in my fingers and smile. 

“Thank you.” I say. I look up at him and see a sparkle in his eye. All of a sudden I lean up and kiss him. I kiss him passionately and he leans on top of me. I hear Prim yell my name from the kitchen. I tilt my head back and groan. He takes this opportunity to kiss my neck. I laugh and he sits back up. We stand and he kisses my cheek before sitting back in his car. I step inside and fiddle with my necklace with a geeky smile on my face. I walk to the kitchen and help with the desserts. I am in charge of all the pies: apple, pumpkin, coconut, and chocolate. I get them all in the oven as we hear another knock on the door. I open it and see Finnick and Annie with their families. I welcome them in and begin to shut the door when Cato and his brother pull up. They come inside and explain that their parents went to some dentist convention for the break. I lead my friends into the living room. We sit down at the couch and Annie reaches and looks at my necklace. 

“Where’d you get this?” she says. 

“Mason.” I says biting my lip. She smiles and giggles. Clove and Glimmer run in and sit with us. Mom calls dinner and I begin to worry. Where is Mason? I sit down next to Clove and leave a seat for Mason next to me. I watch the door and eat quietly. Suddenly the door bursts open and Mason walks in with his three little sisters and parents. Mason sits next to me and kisses my temple. His sisters sit on his other side and I begin to eat happily. “Where were you?” I whisper. 

“Rachel wore the same exact thing as Brooke and Brooke got mad at her so there was an entire argument and hair pulling.” he says and squeezes my thigh. I finish my dinner just in time for me to pull out the pies. I bring them in to the table and lay them out. I take a slice of the apple, my favorite. I gobble it down and clear my plate. Prim comes around and brings the plates to the sink along with mom. I go to the bathroom to freshen up and sigh in the mirror. Thanksgiving is a really hard holiday for me because it was my dads favorite holiday. I run out of the bathroom and up to my room. I walk out to the balcony and lean against the railing taking deep breaths. I hear the door open and close behind me. I feel a hand on my back that sends a shiver down my spine. I look and see Mason. “What’s up?” he says.

“Nothing just needed some air.” I say. He nods. I jump up and sit on the edge. He comes over to me and stands in between my legs. He hugs me tightly but never ventures too far. We return to dinner and I spend some time with his sisters who are adorable. The littlest one is four years old, the middle is eight, and the oldest is ten. We are gonna babysit them together next week. I can’t wait. Everyone goes home and I help clean up the rest of dinner.I go to my room stuffed from the meal and fall asleep.