Chapter 49: Home

Katniss POV

We have three days left at the elite camp and I am so upset. We are being evaluated today again in front of these really pristine judges and sponcers. Lucas told the coach about Jessica and she was kicked out so Rachel was bumped up to second place. I walk out to the living room and there are two new leotards. Mine is black with pink gems and Rachel’s has green gems. We have matching black shorts and black sports bras. My hair has been styled with a pink scrunch and ribbon and Rachel’s is red. We head to the gym and compete as usual. The spots stay the same, me at number 1 and Rachel at 2, Lucas went up to 5 and Adam at 10. Tomorrow there is a big banquet for everyone and a stylist is coming later with a bunch of dress options. She knocks on the door and I let her in. There are a bunch of options but only one stands out to me. It is a tight t shirt dress that comes to my mid thigh with a city pattern on it and light pink silk flowing down the sides that is really pretty. (look up Serena Van Der Woodsen dress for blair’s bridal shower). Rachel picks a white halter dress with a golden sparkly overlay with a teal belt. I match it with light pink peep toe heels. Rachel grabs black heels. Her hair is going to be curled and my hair will be in a intricate braided ponytail. She lays everything out for us and I head off to bed. 

I wake up and sleep a little later than usual. We don’t have practice today so Rachel and I are gonna get ready all day. I get up and smell pancakes being made. I see Rachel at the stove dancing around and burst out laughing. She spins around and blushes. I go over to the kitchen and grab some fruit. I eat some pancakes with strawberries. Later I do my nails with a dark purple color and Rachel does hers white. I get my hair and makeup done and then get dressed and ready to go. I grab a hot pink clutch and stuff it. We head out and to the banquet hall. We get into a bus for everyone. We take a quick drive and pull up to a big building. There are a bunch of circle tables. I am sat in the front with Rachel and some other people. They bring out the first course and it is a very yummy salad. A few speeches are made and I tune the boring ones out. “Good evening everyone. I would like to thank everyone for joining me tonight. I would like a few gymnasts to join me on stage to present the medals. These medals represent the best of the best out there. These people have had the most substantial growth throughout these past weeks and have really shown improvement. Will Katniss Everdeen, Rachel Williams, and Alex Kimmel join me on stage.” the head coach says. Everyone claps and I walk on stage with a big smile. They hand each of us trophies and medals and sashes. We head back down and finish the dinner. We head back to the room after it’s all over and I undress and shower. I open my laptop and turn on my Skype. I video chat Mason. He comes up on the screen and my face immediately lights out. 

“Hi.” I say. 

“Hey.” he says. 

“I can’t wait to see you tomorrow.” I say.

“Yeah me too.” he says. He is acting strange.

“What’s wrong?” I ask. His eyes wander around the room a little before he answers.

“Nothing.” he says. I frown. 

“Well I guess I’ll see you soon. Bye.” I say.

“See ya.” he says and hangs up. I shut my laptop and place it beside my bed. I go to sleep uneasily. 

I wake up early and pack up all my stuff. Afterwards I decide to make breakfast for us. I grab two yogurts and mix some berries in and make some toast with butter. I eat it and Rachel joins me. I get dressed in dark wash jeans and a light blue t shirt with a studded maroon sweater. I grab my army green cargo jacket and slip it on. I zip up my low rise black boots and finish packing everything. Rachel and I head out to the cab with Lucas and Adam. We head to the airport and I sadly leave France and the great training program.