Chapter 31 : Father

Katniss POV

It has been two days since the costume party and tomorrow is the other party. I walk downstairs for lunch and decide to pig out. I make a sandwich with Nutella on cinnamon bread. I grab a coconut yogurt and slice some strawberries. I grab a bag of chips, a bottle of water, and a brownie. I sit down and start eating the yogurt. There is a knock at the door and run to get it. I open it and see its Peeta. He has a huge grin on his face. I let him inside and he sits down at the table. “What is going on with you?” I ask laughing. 

“Well I got you a gift.” he says and slides a card to me. I open it and see six plane tickets. “I got into a summer program to travel around Europe and so did you. And so did Cato and Clove.” he says. I gasp and sit on his lap hugging him. I kiss all over his face and then linger on his lips. My stomach rumbles and Peeta laughs. I playfully slap his arms and sit back down at my chair. I take a bite of my sandwich and eat a strawberry. He picks at my meal also and we talk about the trip. I am so excited.

I am getting changed for the party with Glimmer. I put on a light pink pencil skirt with a black and white polka dot t shirt crop top. I lace up my black converse high tops. I put my hair in a slick back high ponytail and curl the ends. I brush on hot pink lipstick and and mascara. Glimmer is wearing a flawy teal tank top and a white pencil skirt with navy converse and her hair down in curls. We drive over to the party at Evan’s house. I walk inside and someone covers my eyes. They pull me and I hear a door shut. I am sat down in a chair and their hand is removed. I am tied with my hands behind my back and around the chair and my feet tied also. I think its Peeta and hope. It’s not though. It is a random guy I have never spoken to. He smiles and leans in to kiss me. I tilt my head and he gets my cheek. This time he grabs my face and kisses my lips. I make a noise in disgust and he pulls away. “I have a boyfriend” I spit at him. He just looks at me and in the mean time I work my hands with the knot which he did not tie well. I kick him in the groin and scream as loud as I can. I get the knot undone. I undo the one on my feet while he is still recovering. I walk to the door and walk out. I smooth down my clothes and continue on with the party. Peeta grabs me from behind and spins me around. He puts me down and runs his hands around my waist and down to my butt. I giggle and start dancing with Peeta. The music turns off and Evan makes an announcement. “Everyone sit in a circle.” we do as he says and I sit next to Annie and a random guy with blonde hair and green eyes. “I will start. I will say Mail Call for everyone who… and something a few people will have in common. For example: mail Call for everyone who is wearing white. If you are you get up and have to move to a new seat.” I get up and move across the room to another spot. The game goes n and they call with lipstick on. I struggle to find a seat but am last to sit down. I cover my eyes and laugh. 

“Mail Call for everyone who is in a relationship.” I say and run to a spot. Peeta sits next to me and kisses my cheek. Another girl looks over and groans. I shrug it off and the game continues. I only drink a little bit to have a little fun and enjoy the night. I go home and fall asleep instantly. I dream about summer and how great it is going to be. I can’t wait to go to Europe with everyone. In 4 days we leave and the trip is for seven weeks long. Prim is so upset that I will be gone that long but she is going to have Devon with her. I fall asleep peacefully to the thought of spending the next two months with my best friends and boyfriend. 

I wake up and watch a movie. After its over I take out my white suitcase and start to pack. I pull out every pair of shorts I have, denim and flowy. I put in all my pencil skirts, skater skirts, leggings, jeans, and flowy pants. I practically pack my entire wardrobe except for winter coats and stuff. I keep a few outfits for the next three days. I head downstairs and toast a bagel with cream cheese with raspberry jelly. I pour myself some orange juice and head back upstairs. I look for anything I left in my closet and find a beaten up brown box. I bring it out and open it. I cover my mouth when I find pictures of my dad with me, with my family, or just by himself. I let tears fall and I find things I kept about him that reminded me of him. My shaky hands grab the mocking jay pin. It was the last thing he gave me before the accident. I place it on my night stand and keep filing through. There is a CD with a recording of him singing a song. I plug it into my laptop and hit play. I hear him sing my favorite song. It is about a meadow and he used to sing it all the time when he was alive. I cry even more now. I run out of the room and into Prim’s. I rummage through her closet as she yells at me for what I’m doing. I finally find a similar box in her room and pull it out. I get up and throw it at her. She looks at me confused and opens it. She looks through it and she turns pale. “What is this?” she says with a shaky voice. I go to my room and bring her my box. I am too sad to speak. I sit down next to her and in her box I see pictures of her with dad and special things she had with him. After a while I walk back to my room and the box slips out of my hand. I put everything back in when I find a note. It says: