CHAPTER 15

"Did your assassin reveal anything worthwhile?" Taiskin asked, "I didn't hear anything productive in the few moments I was there."

"Nothing," It was a private dinner for the Bellan royal family. Just the king, his queens, and his children. Even the Raib had the night off.

"I didn't get anything good out of her." Rave said, "But it's interesting. Apparently, her employer, Darei, was the bedwarmer of some lowly Duativen prince."

"And why would some prince want you dead, my heart?" Her father asked.

"I don't know. But I wonder if Mow knows, or if he ordered it." Rave shrugged, "What would they get out of killing little ole' me?"

"Maybe a war between Thinlin and Bellayong?" Irene suggested, "Even Rayner would go against Thinlin. It would completely destroy them."

"But what would they get out of it?" Taiskin pondered. "If Bellayong and Rayner attack Thinlin, what prize does Duative get?"

"This is awfully dark talk." Cressida interrupted.

"I agree. Can't this wait until tomorrow?" Queen Orisa shuddered, "It's bad luck to talk about death while eating."

"Then we can continue this talk tomorrow." Their father said, "At the meeting of all the royals."

--

Josephine didn't know what to expect at this meeting. It was of all the royals present in Bellayong. No room was clearly big enough to hold that many egos, so the meeting was done outdoors, in an open garden.

Josephine sat alone as Mow did. The king sat with Taiskin, Aurilean with Rave, the sisters from the high deserts, and then lastly, the siblings from the snow kingdom.

"I wish more of our allies could come, but they instead had to send ministers and emissaries. A shame, really." Taiskin said.

"Yes, it's quite sad, indeed." King Lazarus nodded.

"I hear you were nearly assassinated, princess." Mow turned to Rave and nodded, "My condolences."

Aurilean looked at her, brows furrowed.

Rave didn't look at him as she took his hand in hers. "Shame it wasn't a skilled one. That would have been an exercise for my Raib then."

"I heard a little rumor that the assassin has ties to Duaetive." Taiskin chuckled, "Any opinions, your majesty Mow?" He was clearly mocking him.

"Rayner is Duaetive's closest ally, what would I get from killing its future queen?" Mow replied smoothly, "It isn't like I have any living daughter old enough to marry Aurilean either."

"The girl accused a prince." Rave took a sip of her wine.

Josephine watched the exchange, wide-eyed. How had Darei's maid even met a Duaetiven prince?

"All of my brothers are under strict watch at all times." Mow said defensively. "The servant clearly lied."

"She may have," Rave shrugged far too casually. "She said her employer, Darei, was pregnant. With the prince's child."

"My brothers aren't married."

"You don't need to be married to have children." Aurilean leaned back in his seat, "I would know, my father never married my mother either."

"We should discuss something different." Josephine finally spoke up. She wasn't going to sit there as they all went to war over the words of a maidservant. "Trade, perhaps?"

"Yes." Rave looked at Josephine, "Trade."

--

Lina winced as king Mow yelled all sorts of insults. "Which prince was fucking that lowlife?" He asked her, "Which one is it?"

"I don't know," She replied. They had been at this for hours now. "Darei had never bothered to tell me anything."

"The one time we are trying to build alliances," He pinched the bridge of his nose, "And now they think I tried to kill that harlot."

"Why bother, your majesty?" Lina asked.

"Because it's necessary!" He yelled, "We are neighbors to Rayner, yet how many Duaetivens have married into their royal family? Six!" He sat down, "A thousand years and only six marriage alliances."

"Dueative is the greatest nation. We don't need to mix with anyone." Lina insisted.

"I am the king, if I say I want to open Dueative to the world, then we do so." He sighed, "We will end up like Thinlin if we keep at this."

"Both Rina and Josephine are unwed, with no suitors," Lina said. "You have many brothers, your majesty."

"I wouldn't put most of my brothers in positions of power." Mow said, "But yes, Rina. She would do well with one of the better princes. Rachad, perhaps?"

"Yes!" Lina clapped her hands. "Maybe I can even convince her to marry you."

"Whatever, do as you will." He nodded, "But get to it now."