CHAPTER 11

If Josephine never had to ride a horse ever again, it'd still be too soon for her. They had finally left the Obiloxen behind and were now marching through the proper roads again. Farmlands covered both sides of the roads. The farmers had waved and gave gifts to Rave, who in turn gave them a piece of jewelry. Rave explained it was customary to exchange gifts. Rave had ridden far ahead of them, only with Leo by her side.

Rave had assured Josephine that they would reach the city of Bellamin by today if they didn't stop. Josephine had agreed. The sooner she had a bed to sleep on, the better. She was already dreading the journey back. Josephine hoped they would rest before any and all public events. She could barely walk.

The rest of the Bellans had also ridden closer, no doubt they were excited to be home. Especially to celebrate one of their festivals.

Josephine was surprised by the lack of gates that were around the city. Bellamin was completely open. Only fenced. Even then no walls, Josephine spotted Rave, she was standing near a group of guards.

"Your majesty, you can ride through the rest of the city by carriage. Bellamin is right up ahead. Only a few more miles." Rave said quietly.

"This isn't Bellamin?" Josephine asked.

"Oh no. This is the city frontier. Our first line of defense should the worst come to pass." Rave waved around. "Do not mind their lack of modesty. The people who live here dress so they wear their armor the quickest."

Josephine had noticed the men and women. Everyone was scarcely dressed. The women, girls really, wore a band of cloth around their chest and long, high-waisted pants. The boys wore only pants, bound at their waist by a belt.

Josephine would have replied to Rave, had she not gone back to her horse. Josephine left her horse with her stable hand before going to Rina's carriages.

"Look at these people! No shame!" Lina fanned her face.

"They are warriors, they dress to put on armor quickly." Prim, one of Rave's lady-in-waiting and cousin, growled at Lina. "It is an important ritual, it helps children grow to adults." Prim was on her horse, standing outside the window of the carriage.

"Please just admit that Bellans are shameless." Sonia huffed.

"Not half as shameless as you." Prim rode off.

"By Thia's sweet grace, how long do we have to endure this?" Lina sighed.

"Stop whining." Josephine snapped.

Josephine watched as the houses and people slowly disappeared. They rode for the hour before they approached the gates.

The gates to Bellamin were beautiful, tall, and carved with images and Bellamin alphabets. The red brick walls went as far as Josephine's eye could see. Bellamin was nearly the side of Thinlin, Josephine realized with a jolt. And there was more hidden away behind the walls.

The carved doors opened to a city full of activity. From the gates to as far as her eyes went. No one paid them any heed unless they had to move from the way of the carriages. There were people of all types.

Dark-skinned, light-skinned, even people of Thinlinyte heritage. Fredrick was right about Bellayong. It was richer than sin and then some more. The common folk all wore some form of gold jewelry. Thinlin's common folk could barely afford food and other necessities.

Josephine would have to come to explore this marketplace.

"We have to come here, sister." Rina looked at her. Josephine nodded, she herself was amazed.

"Please, our markets are far more civilized," Sonia argued.

Josephine didn't know what that meant. Everyone was civil. Shop owners showing off goods and shoppers buying them. They had passed the open market, to a district of shops. The streets on either side were lined with sophisticated-looking shops. This was where the wealthier shopped. Store windows had all types of goods on display. From dresses to candles to candies.

As they went past them, Josephine could see the gates of the palace. It was magical. It looked like the entire palace gates and towers, were made of glass. In every color imaginable. Rina gasped. The red glass gates were cloudy, carved, and painted with all different images.

Josephine could only marvel at the beauty before her.