CHAPTER 48

Rave stood in the gardens of Taiskin's quarters. Preparations had already started for the prince's wedding to his new wife. Rina was indefinitely imprisoned in her little tower. She would stay there until Taiskin had his fun with Hanara.

Speaking of Taiskin, he had invited Rave to her garden. Apparently, he had a present for her. Rave stared at the gloves she was wearing. They were mainly to hide her missing fingers. She didn't have to stare at the still healing finger when she wore a glove. She hated it, the missing finger. Apparently, Aurilean had it sent back to Bellayong.

"Ah, sister."

Taiskin." Rave turned to him and stared at the pretty jewelry box in his hand. "If it's my missing finger, I will hit you."

Taiskin shook his head, smiling. "Even I am not that cruel." He sat beside her, "The priestess chose to burn it, to make sure it's it can't be used in any form of evil magic."

"I wonder who would want to curse me."

"That's beside the point." He snapped. He thrust the box at her. "There."

Rave cautiously opened the box. She was pleasantly surprised to see it was five different diamond-studded gold fingers. She had expected worse. "I- I am surprised."

Taiskin pulled one out and held it up to the light. "Beautiful, isn't it?" He took her and pulled the glove off slowly. She looked away as he fitted and put the ring on. The finger had three rings connected to it. It fit on her middle finger.

"I can move it," Rave said as she curled her finger. The gold one curled too, bending at the ridges. "I can move it." She repeated.

"The master jeweler worked on this for a while now. I may have taken measures of your finger before disposing of it." Taiskin smirked.

She examined the jewels closely. The cut of the sapphire was in Bellan style, but it was rough and clumsy. "Is this Bellan sapphire, Tai?"

"All of these are made from Thinlinyte crown jewel."

Rave looked up sharply. "What?"

"I personally got a good share of Thinlinyte crown jewels, as tribute. And I thought, why not make something good out of it?" He explained.

"I- I don't know if I should thank you or reprimand you." Rave chuckled.

"Why would you reprimand me?" He sounded confused.

"If you had listened-"

"Oh don't even start on that!"

"Why not? I told you, numerous times!" Rave shook her head. "You never listen. Even now."

"What's done is done, Rave."

--

Aurilean played with Rave's hair as she laid down on his chest. "He doesn't listen to me, even now."

"He doesn't have to. I will whisk you away to Rayner soon enough." Aurilean replied.

"I know, but still." She sighed. "Maybe I am thinking about it too much."

"You are allowed to be angry at him, Rave," Aurilean said.

"I know that too. But what point is there to think about it now?" She shook her head. "What's done is done."

"Taiskin has gained nothing but praise for this incident. But you, Leo, and countless others suffered. Don't let him take away from your suffering, Rave. Don't let him tell you if you suffered or not. You get to blame Taiskin, who was partly at fault."

Aurilean knew of Rave's mind, of her doubts. Taiskin always took advantage of Rave's insecurities and her flaws. Rave was a strong woman, with her opinions and her arguments, but she listened to Taiskin and her father too much. She listened to them as her sovereign, and she didn't question them. Not outwardly at least.

"I can feel you grimacing, Aurilean." She chuckled. "What are you thinking of?"

"You should question Taiskin more often. Be more assertive with him." He answered.

He knew she forced her laughter. "Forget it. As you said yourself. It doesn't matter. You'll whisk me off to Rayner soon enough."

"Still-"

"Drop it, Aurilean." She said quietly. "I've talked about painful things too much recently. I can't take it anymore. Leave the uncomfortable conversations for later."