chapter twenty six: the story of us

grayson

"Another day, another picture of your necklace on instagram." Ethan says from the couch.

Turning my head, I notice him staring at his phone screen. "Would you stop reminding me?"

"Mackenzie never takes it off, dude." He says as I step closer to him. He practically shoves the mobile device in my face. "She wears it all the time, especially when she's with Connor."

"Of course she wears it, it's a nice piece of jewelry." My eyes focus on the picture Kenzie posted to her story.

It's a selfie of her and Connor at a winery. The diamond heart-shaped necklace is perfectly placed on her collarbone.

"Or maybe it's because you gave it to her. It was a really nice gesture."

"Don't start with that shit." The last thing I need is false hope from my twin.

"Connor clearly doesn't know the history between you two." Ethan shrugs while turning the screen and scrolling off her page.

"No, she didn't say anything to him. He doesn't need to know." I sigh and walk back into the kitchen.

"Do you still feel like shit about breaking her heart?" He look at me.

I open the refrigerator and groan. "Yes, Ethan, I still feel like shit. I don't think I'll ever stop."

"Good, just making sure."

"You're such a dick." I roll my eyes and take out the carton of milk.

"You're the one who fucked everything up, I'm just glad you guys are on better terms now." He rises to his feet and heads over to the kitchen.

I pour myself some cereal and mix it around my bowl. Ethan sits down next to me and begins to eat pieces from the box.

"Everything is fixed. Even though I don't see her often, we're still on good terms. Connor took away that pain she was feeling. I'm honestly grateful for it, she deserved better." I sigh and scoop up some of the cereal into my spoon.

"Couldn't you just be better?" Ethan asks, and I freeze for a second.

I honestly don't know how to answer that. Of course I could've been better for her, but I didn't.

I went with the safer route and allowed Kenzie to have the relationship she always strived for. I couldn't promise her forever when I don't know how far that will get me.

As I'm trying to think of a way to respond, my phone begins to ring. Leaning over to grab it from the charger, I see that it's my mom.

"It's Mom." I tell Ethan as I accept the call and put it on speaker. "Hello?"

"Hi sweetheart, how have you been?" Her sweet and soft voice radiates from the other line.

"I've been doing pretty good." I lie.

She doesn't know anything about the Kenzie situation. I didn't have the decency to call her up and explain that I slept with my childhood best friend and then ripped her heart out.

She would murder me. My whole life both of my parents wanted to make Kenzie an official Dolan. I would never hear the end of it if they knew the truth.

"You boys better not be getting into any trouble." Dad's strong states.

"Us? Trouble? Never." Ethan laughs while popping more cereal into his mouth.

"Hey Dad." I lightly chuckle at his voice.

"What are you up to? Are you guys home?" Mom randomly asks.