chapter thirteen: invisible string

mackenzie

When I make my way downstairs for breakfast, I'm met with a very odd and unexpected sight. Grayson is sitting at my kitchen table and Mom is directly across from him.

She's holding onto her coffee mug and sharing a laugh with my best friend. She's actually glowing this morning, which is a sight I haven't seen in a long time. As my presence becomes known to them, Mom turns her head and smiles at me.

"Good morning, sweetheart." Her voice is very enthusiastic.

"Morning." My eyes shift to Grayson. "I didn't expect to see you at my house so early."

"We're going to Flo's for breakfast and then heading to the beach, so go get dressed and put on a bathing suit." He says with a smirk hanging on his lips.

I glance down at my velvet pajama set from Victoria's Secret. My chest suddenly feels heavy as my eyes lift up to meet his. The silence that falls between us is a clear indication that I'm very confused.

"I wanted to surprise you with a beach day, the weather is beautiful." He clears his throat and speaks up again.

"I think it's a great idea. You guys will have a wonderful time." Mom says while making eye contact with me.

"Yeah, it's a nice surprise. Let me get changed." I slowly say while walking back up the steps.

Before I overthink this entire situation, I pick out a silver bikini that shines under the sun. My hair goes up into a bun as I pack my beach bag.

I try to comprehend what's happening. Grayson and surprises usually don't mix. He finds them sappy and too predictable, at least he used to.

What are we really doing? Is this a secret message for something else? Shaking off my thoughts, I grab my camera and add it to my bag.

Once I'm ready, I rush back down the steps. The oversized t-shirt that I'm using as a cover-up is pretty low. I try to pull it down but it's no use, Grayson is already staring at my thighs.

"I'm ready." I stutter my words.

"Great, let's go." He swings his keys around his pointer finger and walks toward the door.

I turn to look at Mom, who has a mischievous smile on her face. "Are you seeing aunt Jenny today?"

"Yes, after the workers leave. This kitchen floor is almost done, thank goodness. I can't stand the construction." She chuckles while glancing back at Grayson. "But don't worry about me, have fun with Grayson."

"Okay, see you later. I love you." I give her a hug goodbye before exiting my house and getting into the passenger seat of Grayson's car.

"It's never too early to have a milkshake, right? I'm already craving one." He smiles at me before backing out of the driveway.

"Okay, what's going on?" I cross my arms over my chest and look at him.

"What do you mean?" He says, confused.

"You hate getting up early and you never surprise me. Are we actually going to the diner?"

"Yes, why would I lie?"

"I don't know, I guess I'm shocked you're doing all of this." I honestly admit to him.

"Maybe I wanted to spend some quality time with you." He looks back at me with a soft grin appearing on his face.

"We've been doing that a lot lately." I match his smile and lightly shake my head. "Not that I'm really complaining."

"You should never complain. Spending the day with me is an extreme honor. A lot of girls would kill to be in your position." He shifts his eyes to the road.