chapter twenty five: new romantics

mackenzie

Birthdays have always been a sentimental thing for me. It's another year older, wiser, and allows more room to grow into the person I always wanted to be. I have been figuring everything out for twenty three years now, and life continues to get more confusing and crazy.

I feel grateful to have such an amazing support system with me for this year's birthday. From my friends, to Mom and Charlie, I'm super lucky. It helps balance out the sadness I feel of not having my father around to celebrate with me.

I know he wouldn't want me to mope around on my special day, so I try to have a positive outlook as I finish getting ready for my big party.

A huge smile forms on my face as I take a step back to admire my outfit in the mirror. My dress is ravishing.

Since Grayson came up with the awesome idea to make my birthday party a decades theme, I needed to dress up as a flapper from the 1920s.

We all decided to pick outfits from different eras, so I couldn't resist putting together this look. My gold sequins dress takes my breath away. I'm wearing a matching choker to tie the costume together, along with a black fluffy boa.

I topped off my look with a matching gold sequins covered headband with a black feather sticking out of the top. It completes the retro look. Grinning to myself, I spray my classic Chanel No. 5 perfume onto my collarbone.

"Babe, are you almost ready?" Connor suddenly appears in my doorway, and I turn around to face him.

I lightly gasp as I stare at his outfit. He chose the 1950s as his decade, and he looks amazing. Who knew a simple white button-down shirt tucked into charcoal pants with suspenders would be so hot? The gray fedora covering his light hair was also a good choice.

"Holy shit, you look absolutely stunning. Jesus." Connor admires me with wide eyes. He takes in every detail of my dress, not missing a single aspect of it.

"You like?" I spin around, striking a pose.

"Yes, are you kidding? You look gorgeous. Seriously, you're giving Daisy Buchanan a run for her money." He teases.

"And you look very handsome." I walk toward him and wrap my arms around his neck.

"Do I look like I'm from the '50s?" He smiles while staring into my eyes.

"Yes, I'm glad you went with the classic look. The greaser one is overrated." I motion toward the hat on his head.

"I knew you would love it. I also needed to make a good impression with the rest of your friends."

"It'll mostly be the crazy amounts of people Adam and Jade invite. You already met all of my friends at Flo's." I say while untangling myself from his grip.

"Do you know what decade they're dressing up from?" He asks as I grab my purse.

"Nope, Jade wanted it to be a surprise for me."

I'm really looking forward to this birthday party. It's a creative idea that I'm glad Grayson came up with. It was surprising to see him suggest a concept that involves dressing up in an elaborate costume.

"It's going to be a great night. Your mom and Charlie are downstairs, they want pictures of us." He laughs.

"Oh gosh, they're going to act like we're going to prom." I giggle. The mention of pictures reminds me to grab my camera bag from my dresser.

"I don't mind that, I wish we went to prom together." Connor leans down to place a quick kiss on my lips.

I've been enjoying my time with him. He's the perfect reminder that true gentlemen exist. He's loving, caring, always puts me first, and is very respectful.