Saying Goodbye (Angst)

Writing Prompt #10:

"Saying goodbye awakens us to the true nature of things." Write something in which someone has to say goodbye and has a realization.

I did this as an alternate universe thing of one of my own stories. 8/04/21

Words: 558

She was leaving...

Her body lay limp in Elhlhein's cold, cradling arms. 

Curse this blasted pouring rain. Why was it raining anyways?

Tears, continuously forming and spilling over his eyes as he tries to hold onto her life. 

He needed something- anything!- to keep her alive. 

She gives a raspy, empty laugh. A smile trying to stay on her lips. She reaches her left hand up to his cheek, comforting him.

"I'm... so sorry..." She mumbles to him. She coughs, her lungs lurching in a fiery pain despite the frigid rain.

"No, no. It's all right!" He reassures her, trying, desperately to keep her alive. "Ju-just stay with me!-" Several more tears fall from his face and onto her neck.

He pulls her closer, leaning his head against hers. 

"Dont... leave me..." He whispers, pain searing at his heart, and mind. His right hand clinging to the one she had one his cheek. 

Her labored breath slowly growing silently even, his keen ears trying to hear for any sign of life. He gasped, when her breath became weaker and quieter.

He glanced up, hoping upon hope, that his ears were fooling him. 

They weren't.

She had her eyes closed, and her lips slightly parted. 

One last time. He gently pressed his lips onto hers. His salty tears sinking onto her skin, when their bodies met. Garlic barely had anything to return to him.

He angelically pulled away from her. Her heartbeat fading. 

He held her hands to his chest, was she really gonna leave him? 

Could there, in this desolate world, be anything he could do, to keep her by his side?

There wasn't. 

He subconsciously realized that, only briefly. There was no hope. 

No one knows how long he sat there, cradling her limp, and cold dead body. 

Ryder pulled Violet close to him. His arm comforting around her waist. She finally removed her eyes, unwillingly, from her friend's body, tucking her head into Ryder's chest. Tears leaked from her tightly shut eyes. She sobbed. It was a deep wound for everyone.

Jax had an umbrella, he hated the rain, but he respected Luna, and Garlic. So, he stood in the rain, watching in, mellow sorrow, as Elhlhein lost his mind. 

His lover was dead. The one, who got him to see the light, had left. 

Ryder winced in pain as Elhlhein threw his head back and screamed out to the dark clouds, in anguish. His best friend, was heartbroken. 

Luna stood under Jax's umbrella, her hands clasped together in front of her. None of them would be the same now, and she realized that, in a different way than the others. 

They may not even continue their business anymore, not with Elhlhein like this. Not with his spirit, and joy shattered. 

She let out a sigh, of grief, she didn't get to know Garlic as good as her sister, Violet did. None of them got to know Garlic the way Elhlhein did. 

He may never recover. 

All of them saw that. And... accepted, the agonizing truth laying before them.

Ryder, leaned his chin, on top of Violet's head. Cradling her close to his warmth. Seeing Elhlhein like this, was writhing and clawing each of the members on the inside. 

She was his light. 

She, had died. 

She was never coming back, and he couldn't join her.