Are You Happy? (Angst)

Writing Prompt #23

Listening to some Bo Burnham songs. Got some motivation. 12/6/21

Words: 201

He shakes his head, frustrated. He sits down across from her. 

She doesn't bother looking up at him. She holds her arms tighter to her chest.

"You have the world at your hands, if you just try." He starts. She tightens her hands on her clothing, trying not to get upset at him. 

"No." She says, as she can tell she's not gonna stop him by being quite. 

"Are you-" She slams her hands on the table, suddenly standing up. He holds his hands up, startled. She isn't okay.

"I am not doing this today." She sighs through her teeth. She stares at him, a hard look in her eyes. "I'm leaving." 

"Wait!" He stands up too, reaching across the table. She stops, not willing to look behind her. 

"Let go." She is abnormally stern for a simple sentence. 

His grasp on her jacket weakens. "I..." He sighs, turning his head away from her as she walks away. "I'm here for you." He speaks up. 

She doesn't stop. Ignoring him and everyone passing her. 

"Are you happy?" He asks, a little louder. 

She stops. 

She doesn't turn around. People around them stop to stare for a second. 

Is it really over?