Starting Over in a New Place

Writing Prompt: #29

I'm sorry I'm a day late on uploading this. It was supposed to be out yesterday, but I was so done with everything, I didn't bother. I am sorry.

Also, this one has a cringey bit, because I tried writing one of the characters as an asshole, and I had no idea how to insult someone with any of the words I was given.

Written on 1/8/22.

Include the following words: 

-Dubai, -fedora, -sienna, -befriend, -grate, -listen, -heiress, -twinge, mute, and -charcoal. 

Words: 351

My goal this year is to befriend someone. 

Almost anyone at this point. 

I've decided to actually listen to myself, and try to make friends with someone hopefully nice. 

This year, I have one of the new kids from Dubai in my 1st period class. They're no heiress, but meeting someone new may help me achieve my goal. 

The new kid in my class has long hair tied back in a high ponytail. Their hair is a muted color, and their shirt is the color of sienna. 

One of the stuck up guy's tease them. He's wearing a charcoal colored t-shirt and a black fedora. 

"Did the heiress come to check on the people supposedly grate-ing her cheese?" He sneers, and a few of his friends chuckle. 

It wasn't even an accurate joke!

Before I realize what I am doing, it is already done. 

I feel a twinge of painful embarrassment squeeze my heart. 

I am standing up, hands on the desk. 

I have to go with it now... 

I've already started making a fool of myself, might as well make it seem I really mean it.

"Leave her alone. Your humor is as good as a mute comedian." I point at his outfit, "And you look tackier than ever. Let her have her chance to prove you and your stupid friends, that you need to have more respect rather than making yourselves fools." 

I dont know what shut them up more. My really lame insults, or my firm stance and seriousness on my face.

Probably my foolishness to do such a thing. 

The new girl introduces herself after I sit down. She says her name is Amara, and takes the new seat by me.

I was surprised. 

"Thank you..." She says quietly as the teacher starts the class.

"You're welcome." I whisper to her.

Making sure to hide it from the teacher's view She offers her hand, "Friends?" 

I sit up straighter immediately, and I feel my heart flutter.

A friend.

I take her hand, maybe too eagerly. "I'm Adoliene, but you can call me Addie."

I have a friend!