A Butterfly - Emily

Writing Prompt #22:

Think of a character. Write a paragraph each about;  An important childhood experience that character had(1). The character's living situation(2). Two hobbies or things the character likes to do(3). The room where the character sleeps(4). An ambition of the character(5). Two physical characteristics of the character(6). What happens when a second person and this character meet(7). Two important defining personal traits of this character(8). 

Well, I guess I'll do Emily, even though she died. I was getting  lazy, so I did not do the 8th one. 11/24/21

Words: 1,195

~*~*~*~* 1 *~*~*~*~

Emily and her mother lived in a small home. Only one floor, but very nice all the same. The house was painted white with black edges on the outside. The floors are made of polished redwood, the faint smell of cinnamon and polished wood in the house.  

Emily knocks on her mother's bedroom door. A baby blue dress reaching past her knees, decorated with variety of white flowers, sways as she rocks on the balls of her feet. 

"Mom?" Emily asks a little louder, leaning closer to the door. 

A few moments pass with silence.

"Boo." Her mother touches her shoulders and Emily jumps. She quickly turns around, her heart pounding loudly in her ears. The two girls begin to laugh. 

Tears prick Emily's eyes as she starts to laugh too hard. 

"I didn't mean to make you jump, sweetheart." Her mother chuckles, and pats her little girl's head. 

Emily shakes her head, a beaming smile on her face, "I didn't think you were up already." Her short blonde hair moves with her. 

"Well then. You'll be happy to know I made your favorite." Her mother smiles, seeing her little girl's face light up. 

"You did?!" Emily twirls around, and unable to contain her excitement, tightly hugs her mother's waist. "Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!" She jumps up and down, holding onto her mother. 

She laughs, "Of course, my dear." She rubs the top of Emily's head, and as she looks up, "C'mon let's go eat." 

Emily's smile gets even wider, and she pulls away, tucking her arms behind her back. "Of course!" She giggles as she runs down the hallway and into the kitchen. 

~*~*~*~* 2 *~*~*~*~

 "Mom?" Emily tugs on her mother's baggy shirt. Her mother tucks a strand of hair behind her ear, and tries to smile her best as she looks up at her child.

She taps Emily's head, "Yes, dear?" Her voice is so quite, and Emily can feel her sadness. The picture frame of just the two of them is set of the other side of the bed from Emily. 

"Why are you sad?" Emily gazes up at her mom, unknowing to why her eyes look so shocked. 

"Well..." She gives a small smile, repressing the urge to let her tears fall. "I'm just worried for you, that's all." She laughs, but Emily can tell she isn't happy.

Emily looks down, staring at her own two feet. She didn't know how to make her mother properly smile again. 

"Mommy..." Emily glances back up, trying to keep her own doubts away. 

"Yes...?" Her eyes look so forlorn and tired from her distress. 

"How come I don't have a daddy like the other kids at my school?" Emily knew she is so different from the other kids. Maybe that is why her mommy is so sad right now.