Ch. 55 - If I Were King

┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈
"Does this mean you have to
call me mummy now?"

- Jade
┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

Chapter 55 - If I Were King

▪️C R I S T I A N O▪️

The next morning, Jade and myself had spent over an hour walking about the premises.

True to his word, José had indeed allowed us to roam freely without being escorted. However, this did not really matter as even though the house and property were big, both were crawling with armed bodyguards everywhere we looked.

The kitchen especially had been heavily guarded, much to Jade's disappointment as she had hoped to sneak in and confiscate a knife, fork, or spoon for later use.

Yes, a spoon!

I chuckled to myself at the thought. She really was one deadly woman, in more ways than one.

From our observations, the eight-bedroom house was situated on about one acre of land and consisted of three main floors and a basement. The basement area was more for the guards as well as the two-bedroom pool house that was in the backyard. The men used these areas to bring back prostitutes, and Jade had wondered if she could possibly slip a message to one of these women. Although we had both agreed that to attempt such would be very risky, and so we pushed it aside as a last resort option.

The waterfront property also had a huge and beautiful pool in the backyard. Jade was sitting with her feet submerged beneath its blue surface as she nibbled on some fruit while I stared at her silently.

We were both lost in our own thoughts.

After assessing all the options, she stated that our best way out would be to escape via the canal situated at the edge of the property, behind the backyard. The channel would no doubt lead back to the sea, but I had some doubts which I wasted no time voicing.

There had been repeated talks among some of the bodyguards about seeing alligators in the water. These loud conversations were obviously used as an extra deterrent to prevent us from escaping. The thought of alligators unnerved me, especially since the waters did not have the best clarity and it would be hard to tell what else might be swimming in their murky depths.

On top of that, I knew that all the pesticides and fertilizers that were used on the lawns probably drained into the canals. This made the water even more unsafe, especially if it were to be accidentally ingested.

Unfortunately, none of these concerns phased Jade.

She knew that getting into that water would definitely be risky, and she had no idea where exactly on the Miami coastline it might lead to, but she was adamant that it was our only option. Even though she reiterated to me that she was an excellent swimmer and would protect me, there was no hiding my fear, not so much for myself but for her.

I would be damned if anything ever happened to her.

The love I had for Jade was something I would take to my grave. It did not matter that we were no longer a couple.

Truth be told, as much as I loved her, I knew that I was not good enough for her.

Perhaps if I had had the strength to confide in her, tell her about José. Maybe if I had taken up my father's offer to rule at his side, to be a King, or in this case, Prince to a Cartel empire, things might have turned out differently.

But just seeing the way her gorgeous green eyes lit up whenever she spoke about Dominic, I knew that the love she had for me paled in comparison to the love she had for him. Jade would never love anyone the way she loved Dominic Calvetti.