Ch. 53 - In A Spiral

┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈
"I almost feel sorry for
the Cartel boss."

- Vincent
┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈

Chapter 53 - In A Spiral

▪️D O M I N I C▪️

I paced furiously back and forth in front of the large windows adorning my office.

Without Jade at my side, Aelbank City just was not the same. Marching about the room, I moved like there was a hurricane within me.

It was as though my brain was in over-drive as I energetically moved my limbs about. My blue eyes were wild, and every time I paused by the window, I would immediately start fidgeting in one place.

My squirming would increase to the point that I would explode and suddenly shout out incoherent words before pacing again, my mind reeling. The pain I felt due to her absence increased with each passing minute.

Jade was the most precious thing to me.

I missed the feel of her hand in mine, and as I momentarily closed my eyes, I saw her smiling face staring back at me. Even though I knew it was not possible, I desperately wished that I could reach out and touch her, but unfortunately, I did not possess the power to materialise things from my thoughts.

Another scream tore through me. I hated feeling powerless!

The irony of the situation was not lost on me. I was one of the most feared men in the United States, and all it took was for one simple slip up and everything in my world had drastically changed.

Since Jade had been taken, I had found myself thinking back to all the years since the first day I had met her. From having rescued her and Quintin to watching her from a distance as she grew up into a strong and powerful woman she was today.

A part of me regretted wasting time at her nineteenth birthday party.

Had I just given things between us a chance sooner, we would have had more time together. But as I continued to reminisce, I knew that I could not have forced myself to be with her back then, and to be honest, the last two years had been interesting. Especially where trying to understand my new feelings were concerned.

But then again, everything had happened as it was supposed to.

With a sigh, my breathing began to even out as my fingers briefly touched the charm bracelet that remained secure in the right pocket of my pants.

With the recent attacks upon us, coupled with Blaire's murder and Jade's whereabouts that were still unknown, a part of me wondered what I could have done differently to have prevented all of this from happening.

Letting out another frustrated shout, I tightly gripped my silvery white hair. Huffing, I then picked up my half-empty whiskey glass from the desk and threw it at the wall.

For the last few minutes, I knew that Vincent had been cautiously standing near the partially open office door, more than likely contemplating when to enter. His brown eyes observed me, knowing fully well that I had not left the room since the phone call with the Cartel boss.

Seeming to square his shoulders back, Vincent guardedly entered the room.

My face was tense, and I had not slept in over two days, which was a norm for me. However, my lack of sleep these past twenty-four hours was obviously due to a different reason. I knew how I looked, my eyes were bloodshot and my usually well-kept hair was messy from having had my fingers repeatedly threaded through it.