Clingy (Cross x Nightmare Drabble)

(Alternative title: Crightmoss but Cross is tense all the time and NM just wants him to know that everything's okay 🥺✨✨)

Nightmare was a reserved person. That was something anyone could figure out. He was cold, and angry all the time. It can take ages just to get him to tolerate you.

But something that Cross quickly learned, is that when Nightmare actually gets to like you, he's very clingy.

How did he learn this? One day, as soon as everyone left to run errands, Nightmare practically jumped on him, and trapped him into a blanket hug that had been going on for the past thirty minutes on the couch. He had no idea what was happening, but he remembered just how badly Nightmare could hurt him, so he just sat there, frozen as his smaller boss snuggled deeper into his big, fluffy white coat.

Nightmare was probably aware of his fear, if he really could sense emotions like he said. Was this a new way of mongering negative emotions out of him? He was beginning to think this was some sort of joke, or something that was meant to summon some sort of reaction out of him, yet he remained silent, not daring to move a single bone in his body in horror that his Boss would suddenly impale him for not submitting to...whatever it was he was doing. He heard the taller suddenly hum in frustration. Oh no, had he done something wrong?

Nightmare took his face out of Cross' jacket, glaring up at him as he maintained his slouched position on his lap. "B-boss?" He asked, hoping that maybe he would tell him what it was he was supposed to be doing. Nightmare squinted, his frown growing. "Tch, I've been trying to get you to calm down for a while now, but I feel as though you're even more tense than before." He blinked. "What?" Nightmare sighed, removing the blanket and putting it to the side. He slid off of him and stood back up, reminding Cross of how tall he was. "Whatever. It doesn't matter.." he mumbled, walking away.

Cross sighed as he remembered that time. It really did terrify him at the time. Something that Nightmare did that was so foreign and out of character for him. It worried him that it meant something. That he didn't do something he should've. But if there was one thing at the time that he did right, it was the fact that he listened.

He never understood subtle or even non-subtle physical cues, it had to be said to him. Nightmare rarely spoke his orders, so you had to listen to the words he did give you if you wanted to do what you were supposed to right. Cross had gotten very lucky each time he was meant to do something new. Which was probably why Nightmare had gotten so comfortable with him to begin with. The fact that he always wordlessly did what he asked, no matter what the request was, unlike, say Killer, who always talked back, throwing in petty insults with each sentence. Cross was silent. Cross was nice.

So the next time he and Nightmare were alone, he slowly inched over to him, and laid his head down on his shoulder. He closed his sockets, trying to stay calm. Trying to trick his subconscious into believing that who he was initiating contact with was friendly and completely harmless. He eventually stopped being completely tense, though he couldn't help but remain on edge. He eventually heard Nightmare's voice, softer and more unsure than he's ever heard him, "What are you doing?" It didn't sound like an angry accusation, just a harmless question. Yep, harmless. Definitely not in danger of death.

"I'm just trying to please you, boss." Cross replied. "You've been.. trying to get me to do something, but I can't figure out what. I don't know if I'm doing this right..." His words and thoughts both trailed off as he felt Nightmare wrap a tentacle around his waist and an arm around his neck. It wasn't firm or tense, but relaxed and inviting. It was new. Cross had never been held like this before, not even back in his own Universe. A solider must always be strong if they wish to protect, he'd always hear XGaster say. Well, it seems that's another thing he was wrong about. Even if he wasn't, that's not what Nightmare wants, so it doesn't matter anyway.

This felt nice. Being loved. He wouldn't mind if he could have this forever.