My Thrall ("The Skeleton Games" - 1800's AU)

A/N: This story is based off of The Skeleton Games by poetax on AO3! This fic is hilarious and it has a special place in my soul. Here's the link, if you can find a way to copy it: https://archiveofourown.org/works/8700787/chapters/19948357

I really wanna continue this, so maybe look out for another part!

--/-/--

    Red angrily picked the elderberries along the river in the forest, grumbling as the argument he recently had with his younger brother replayed over and over in his skull.

    Rumours spread across town about Edge being seen around often with Mettaton lately. Too often. Monsters were judged and barely tolerated outside the slums as it was. He couldn't believe his brother, who normally fussed over every little detail, overlooked something as dreadfully obvious as the laws everyone's followed for centuries.

    "Are you fucking kidding me?! Out of all the people you could've gone out with, you chose that asshole?!!"

    "YOU BEST WATCH YOUR TONE. AT LEAST HAVE STANDARDS BEFORE YOU DARE JUDGE MINE!"

    Lots of the berries got crushed as Red fisted them in the padded basket--"whatever, still edible"--in bunches. He'd normally at least look for the ripe ones or the ones without pests, but he couldn't care less today. Let Papyrus get sick, not like he gave a shit. He was putting not just himself, not just their family, but their entire kind at risk and for what, some shitty-ass affair he could have just the same with a woman!

(He wants his bro to be happy, really, but they can't risk their lives again like this.)

    He sighed, drawing in and out deep breaths. Being a skeleton, he didn't really need air, but goddamnit, the gesture helped whenever he was drowning in his own rage, which was a lot of the time. Picking berries for baking later usually helped to take things off of his mind, but not today, apparently. He hadn't even realized how far he'd stormed into the thick forest on the outskirts of their human-monster(although the latter isn't exactly welcomed with open arms) town. It's possible he was on the border for 'vampire territory'.

    Vampires. He scoffed just thinking about the fuckers. A dumbass human sickness spread by biting each other, and suddenly they can't go out in the sun, they have magic and want to drink humans' blood or something. To tell the truth, he didn't know much about them, much less fully believe in their existence, but humans seemed adamant about it in all their 'legends'--most of them are made-up stories, he's sure of it--and it put one hell of a bias against monster kind. All the magical creatures in their legends are evil, and while it doesn't go the other way around, the bigoted flesh bags have all concluded that magic equals bad people, so now they're all getting murdered on the streets for no goddamn reason.

    He peered through the thicker trees up ahead, where the river he always followed suddenly disappeared behind the thick branches and ever-dark shadows. Ever since he and his brother moved here, all they've heard from the humans living here was vampire this, vampire that. Nothing they haven't had to deal with before, but the claims in the particular town seemed to have actual merit. On more than one occasion lone humans suddenly went missing for a couple nights, then were found just beyond those trees with their necks a bloody, tattered mess by unsuspecting wives doing the laundry or people picking fruit and berries like himself. And if that wasn't enough, Paps and his fellow guardswoman friend, Undyne, would sometimes speak of strange figures watching the town from afar in the trees at night. They weren't all that worried, or course. In their words, "WE'LL KICK THE ASSES OF ANY TROUBLEMAKERS!" So he wasn't either. Much.