Praise (Dark Sans Poly)

"Lookin' good today Nightmare!"

    "Thanks Nightmare, you're the best!"

    "You're so awesome at everything, Nightmare. I wish I could be like you."

    What's going on? Nightmare hid his face in his turtleneck sweater to the best of his abilities while Horror and Dust stood in front of him, endlessly showering him in praise for the umpteenth time. Everyone had been saying such nice things about him lately, and he wasn't sure how to take in any of it. Is this normal? Was it normal for everyone around you to love you for everything you did? Hell if he knew, he's never had people who genuinely cared about him before. It was..nice, but his soul always felt like it was going to explode whenever they flattered him the way they did. He couldn't handle it all, so he did the same thing he's done a thousand times whenever his felt his eye socket burn: he ran away, leaving the pair worried once again if they did something wrong. "I wish he could just tell us what we're doing wrong", Horror lamented, feeling guilty for hurting Nightmare's feelings, or maybe saying something he didn't like. Dust nodded, sighing. He was just as worried as his partner was. If they said something offensive to Nightmare just a few months ago, he would've violently thrown them into the wall.If they were completely honest with themselves, they would have preferred that harsh punishment over being kept in the dark with the wrenching guilt of seeing Nightmare so unhappy.

    Meanwhile, Nightmare was sitting at his desk, using the palms of his hands to muffle his flustered yelling as he hid his face in them. He couldn't do this. Was this some kind con passive-aggressive revenge to get back at him for how cruel he'd been? Do they even know that these things that are slid into every conversation so casually affected him this much? I guess it's obvious, Nightmare thought, sighing. He had to control himself. He eventually left his room. Killer and Cross were setting up a 'movie night' during dinner, and he didn't really fancy being late. He could remain unchanged by every possible insult in both English and Spanish, yet a few nice things said to him have him almost bursting into tears. He was ashamed. He did like his team, he really did, but they all really drove him crazy.

    Suddenly, a deformed portal appeared in front of him, the other side showing a white nothingness. He didn't flinch. "Hello Error." He said, smiling softly at the dark figure as he emerged from the portal. "Hi, Nightmare." Error waved, closing the portal he made behind him. Once he looked him over, he frowned, a worried look taking over his features. "Are you okay, Nightmare?" He paused for a moment as he sighed. "Is it that obvious?" Error's gaze softened further as he approached him, and touched his fingertips to his shoulders, before moving the rest of his hands down to properly grab him. Nightmare was surprised at the motion. Error wasn't quite used to touch yet, so it still wasn't often that he came close to anyone. "What's wrong?" He asked, his voice raising and lowering octaves as he did. "It's fine." Error glared at him. "Really, it's okay. Nothing you have to worry about." Nightmare gave a weak laugh, lightly pushing Error's arms away from him so he could continue walking to his destination. "We shouldn't be late for that movie night, yeah?" Error sighed, clearly not believing the other, but nodded and followed him anyway. He hated Nightmare's tendency to think that his personal worries didn't matter. He hoped that they could get him to open his feelings to them all one day.

    The movie was longer than anyone anticipated. Horror's soft snores echoed through the room and Dust looked like he was about to follow suit, but everyone else was still pretty awake, chattering to their soul's content. Nightmare didn't join in, trying to focus on the movie because he had never seen it before, and he had to admit it peaked his interest. Well, he was focusing pretty well up until he heard his name. He looked over. Everyone was still talking, but now the conversation topic appeared to be him.

    "Nightmare's so nice! He helped me..."

    "I'm glad Nightmare's around. He's great..."

    They talked about him as though he wasn't even there. He felt his face get hot, but the brushing of Cross' shoulder on his made it apparent in his mind that he was trapped. He couldn't leave and never come back. Even if he excused himself to the bathroom, what would she do if they were still saying such things when he came back? He was obligated to stay there until the movie was over, and if the bar at the bottom meant anything, there was still thirty minutes left.

    "You're so cool, Nightmare."

    "I'm so glad I could meet Nightmare."

    Several minutes passed, though it felt like centuries to Nightmare. This is torture, it has to be torture, he thought. He was still facing the screen, though he just couldn't focus on the movie anymore. It was so much to take in? They couldn't mean what they're saying, they just couldn't be.

"Nightmare-.."

"....Nightmare!"

"Nightmare."

"Nightmare...."

"Nightmare...?"

    Way too much...

"Nightmare..?!"

    He didn't realize how hard he was shaking. He couldn't hear anything but his name. Cross was trying to get his attention, but he was too lost in his own thoughts in pure confusion, and something else he couldn't quite place.

    "NIGHTMARE! LOOK AT ME, PLEASE!"

    He burst into tears. Joy and love. That's what he was feeling. Everyone was looking at him now, but he didn't notice. The teal water flowed out of his eye socket. It hurt, but he never wanted it to end. He doesn't deserve this. He never did anything to deserve such wonderful friends. They ought to find someone else to praise, but oh, don't leave him here alone again, please. Cross pulled him into a side hug, frantically asking him what was wrong. The others got up from their seats and surrounded Nightmare as they tried to wean down the stream of tears that came down the left side of his face.

    "I DON'T DESERVE SUCH AMAZING FRIENDS!!" He wailed, sobbing and putting his head in his hands. Everyone looked back and forth at each other. In Horror, something clicked. "Is..did...." he paused, trying desperately to string a sentence that correlated to what he had to say. "Did you..when we told you that you were nice and fun and good, you..you thought that...you did not think that..you could not have that good things said..about you..?" Dust stared at him, before fully translating it in his own scattered mind. "Oh! You didn't think you were worthy of our passive compliments, boss??" Everyone else turned their heads to Nightmare as he nodded. "I...don't..I can't....." he hiccupped. Cross shushed him, tightening his grip on him. "Now that's just silly, Nightmare. Of course you deserve it! We all love you!" Everyone nodded in agreement.

    Killer sat down to the right of Nightmare and hugged him from that side. "Guys, I think Nightmare needs a little group hug." He and Cross stood up, dragging the one between them with them. Dust and Horror joined the embrace. Error unsurprisingly kept his distance, but smiled reassuringly at Nightmare when he turned his head his way. He hiccupped again, loosely grabbing hold of Dust's jacket. "Thanks...." Cross nodded. "We love you Nightmare." Killer nodded. "Yep, absolutely infatuated with you." Horror hummed. "You're really great.." Dust said nothing, tightening his grip on the other. Nightmare thought his soul was going to explode with how fast and hard it was beating in his rib cage. "I...I love you guys too.."