Shadow, Shadow

Cross was sweating nervously as he stood underneath the white arch. The decorative piece was made of wood that was painted white, he thinks, and in between every crevice of its architecture was laced with beautiful purple lilies.

    Apparently, purple is his favourite colour.

    Cross was brought here from his home to marry this kingdom's eldest prince, but here he was, all suited up in a black tux at the altar, and he hadn't even seen the prince's face. He briefly met his younger brother, and he was nice, but the prince laughed off the fact that his twin is apparently nothing like himself. It worried the ex-soldier, that's for sure.

    What worried him more is the rumours the servants had told him about his husband-to-be. These servants have warned him about the other's temper, that he turned into some sort of terrifying monster. Figuratively, of course, since they were both already monsters.

    These rumours alone spurred his father to pick him, the only adopted prince of their family, to marry him for the sake of this new alliance between their kingdoms. From what Cross knew about his rather distant father figure, he wasn't one to listen to gossip, so that only added to his worry.

    He tried to shrug it off as the sound of the church organ rung in his ear ducts. This individual was going to walk through the large double doors parallel to him any moment now, and he was not going to judge this character on the basis of some odd rumours.

    He would see who this 'Prince Nightmare' is for himself.

    He tried not to look at the large mass of people who were sitting in front of him, staring at the soldier. They didn't seem all that happy that Nightmare was taking the throne, according to the things he's heard them whisper when they thought Cross wasn't listening. They wanted Dream as their leader. The golden prince reluctantly told him a few days before that the only reason they were allowed at the ceremony was because Dream wanted them there. Nightmare apparently wanted something more private. Cross would've been okay with a smaller ceremony, to be honest. The amount of people looking at him with such neutrally displeased faces scared him.

    His train of thought halted when the doors silently cracked open, someone with a white veil over their face peeking out. No one in the audience appeared to notice them except for Cross; the soldier knew to always be aware of his surroundings. Based off of the white clothing, Cross assumed that this must be the prince he was to marry. The figure who was supposedly Nightmare noticed Cross' gaze, startling and shutting the door.

    Everyone waited a few more minutes before two people emerged through the door. The sound of the church organ rang in Cross' ear ducts, but the soldier was focused on the person he saw shortly before. Next to him was Dream who was walking his twin down the aisle, their arms interlocked. He vaguely remembers Dream mentioning their father never really being around, so he supposed it made sense for Dream to take his place for his beloved brother.

    Dream gave both the figure next to him and Cross an encouraging smile before skipping back to his seat in the front row.

    Nightmare almost looked smaller without his brother by his side. He shrunk in on himself, raising his flowing white dress above his ankles so he could make his way up the small set of stairs without tripping.

    "Hello," Cross whispered with a small, yet encouraging smile. He knew the cold feeling of being judged just as well as this Nightmare character seemed to, with the way everyone's smile dropped when the white-veiled skeleton stepped in view. The soldier-turned-prince reached out both of his hands for Nightmare to take.

    Nightmare said nothing in response, but he did grab onto Cross' hands softly and bend his head further downward, as if doing everything he could to not look at him. Nightmare's hands were dwarfed by Cross' bigger, scarred ones, and his phalanges were cold, making it feel like Cross was holding two ice cubes in his hands.