Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Jace's POV

I stood with Alec and Izzy in Ops Centre, waiting for Clary and Faith to join us. After losing Valentine, we've all been in high alert, fearful of what was going to happen.

A small tug at my insides made me look up, finding Faith and Clary walking into the centre.

"Any word from Magnus or Luke?" Clary asked, joining the table.

Alec shook his head, "No. With Valentine free, the Downworld Cabinet has been holding secluded meetings at the Seelie Court."

"That's not good," I mumbled as Faith stood next to me, mumbling her own response.

"Nothing good seems to happen in the Seelie Court."

Alec looked between all of us, worry in his voice. "The Clave isn't gonna let this go unpunished. The Inquisitor sent an envoy to assess the situation. Chances are, they'll be the ones replacing me as the Head of the Institute."

Faith, standing also next to Alec, put a hand on his arm. "You don't know that. If we find Valentine and fix this whole thing then everything will go back to normal."

Izzy spoke up, nodding in agreement, "Sebastian and all available personnel are searching. We already know Duncan managed to hijack the Portal."

"If he was Luke's accomplice, he could have been orchestrating the secret transfer all along," I said.

Sighing, Alec said, "Listen, I appreciate the effort, but Valentine escaped on my watch. I deserve to take the heat for it."

Faith dropped her hand, "This isn't your fault, it's ours. Jace and I were the ones in charge of the transfer team."

Standing up straighter behind Faith I nodded, "Yeah. Look, Alec, you are a good leader. You can't just let Imogen fire you over something you didn't do."

"Alec will do as he's ordered," A voice says behind us, making us all turn to find Robert Lightwood, Alec and Izzy's dad, standing there.

"Dad?" Izzy asked, surprised like we all were to see that he would be the one here.

"What are you doing here?" Alec asked?

"I'm the Clave's envoy. We need to talk," Robert said, making us all look at Alec who looked down in a mixture of anger and worry.

We all split up after that, seeing as our little meeting was over. I ended up in library, studying a map of Idris and looking at some books.

The sound of walking filled my ears and I looked up just as Faith entered. She gave me a small smile as she made her way over to me, "Hey, I was looking for you. Alec assigned both of us to search Staten Island. He says you asked him for me to join you on the search?"

I smiled and turned to Faith, "What, I can't spend some time with my soon to be wife?"

Blushing, which only grew my own smile, Faith laid her hand on my arm and leaned on it a bit. "Yeah, that's something I'm still going to need to get used too."

Nodding in agreement, I looked down at the map, "And I needed someone I can trust." I pushed the map of Idris to Faith who looked at it in confusion.

"You think Valentine is in Idris?"

"Valentine used to take me to this cabin in Brocelind Forest when I was a kid. I bet if we go there we can find more in that cabin then in Staten Island. Who knows, we might even get lucky and find him there."

"What did the Clave say?"

I sighed and sat my hands on my hips, "They denied my request for a portal and Magnus is still in the Seelie Court with Luke. Unfortunately, Portaling to Idris without approval isn't exactly sanctioned under the Accords."