Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Jace's POV

Water splashed against my face while sand lost itself in my hair and under my shirt. My head popped up for air, gasping as I tried to crawl my way through the water. When the water vanished from my hands, I knew I had hit land.

Coughing and closing my eyes in pain I continued to crawl my way up the sand until the water disappeared behind me.

My eyes opened, looking around as I tried to push through the pain that radiated off my side. "Faith! Faith!" I yelled, my eyes searching around for her. They landed on a body washed up onto shore.

"Faith? Faith!" I yelled, somehow pushing myself up enough to half stumble, half run, towards her. I landed next to her, her eyes were closed and her mouth shut with water. I pushed her hair out of her face, whispering her name over and over as I laid one hand on her arm and the other on her cheek.

Faith suddenly gasped away, her eyes flying open, while her body turned as she coughed up the water in her lungs. She gasped for air before rolling back over onto her back, blinking a few times before her eyes adjusted.

"Jace?" Her voice came out shaky and rugged.

"Come on," I said, helping her sit up, my eyes never leaving her. Her head leaned against me, one of her hands grabbing my shirt. I wrapped my arms around her, thanking every angel, every god, every being that she was alive. That we were alive.

My eyes looked around at our surroundings, discovering the road up a small hill. Vehicles after vehicles drove by, ignoring or completely oblivious to what was going on down here.

"We have to get to a phone," Faith mumbled below me, making my head tilt down and look at her.

"Okay. Can you walk?"

She nodded as her answer, holding onto my hands or arms as we pulled her up. We made our way up to the road, looking both ways before making our way down the street. We came across a bar sign, both Faith and I walking into it and looking around.

The bar was mostly empty, a waitress stuck behind the bar cleaning a glass. She looked up, noticing Faith and I. "Well, you two look like you could use a drink. And a towel."

I lead the way, one of my hands still on Faith's as we made our way to the bartender. "Just, um, just your phone?"

"I'd ask what happened to yours, but I'm guessing it got wet," She said, nodding to our dripping wet clothes.

Faith sighed, "It's a long story," her eyes looked around, seeming to be eyeing every person in the bar like she was suspicious of them.

The bartender nodding, setting down the glass and laying her hand on the counter. "Well, I'm stuck here all night, and besides, I hear Shadowhunters love to hear themselves talk." I shared a confused look with Faith, causing the lady to smile. "What, you didn't think I would recognize those runes on the back of your neck?"

"You're a werewolf," Faith said, moving so she was right next to me.

"Typically, the phone is for paying customers, but I'm feeling generous, so on the house," the Bartender nodded over to the phone.

I looked over at the phone before looking at the lady, "Thank you." I quickly went over to the phone, only catching the lady's name, Maia, before I was walking over to a corner with the phone.

My eyes watch Faith as I dial the number and hold the phone to my ear. She looks in pain. Her arm is red and burnt, I can see her holding it, moving it in hopes of covering it up. But the pain on her face and in my own ruin tells me she's not okay.