Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Faith's POV

Nothing feels the same anymore. My heart doesn't beat the same, my breath isn't the same, none of it. My Connection ruin is healing, but Magnus said it's not healing right without Jace around. So I planned on fixing that today, right now.

"You sure about this?" Magnus' voice spoke up behind me as I faced the entrance of the City of Bones.

"I have to see him, Magnus," My voice came out groggy, like I had just woken up from a long sleep. Or not enough sleep.

I use my Steel to open the City of Bones' door, before stepping down the long, winding steps that seemed to go on forever. Eventually it came to an end and there was nothing left but hallways.

One of the Silent Brother's greeted me, causing me to stop in my tracks. "What is your business here, Shadowhunter?"

"I need to see Jace Wayland," I said, raising my chin in hopes of it making me look more confident.

The Silent Brother turned, leading the way down one of the half lit hallways. Cells on either side of me, filled with people screaming for help, filled my ears.

"Pay no heed to their desperation. They all deserve to be here. Infractions against the Clave do not go unpunished," The Silent Brother said, his tone making a chill go up my spine.

We reached one of the end cells, revealing Jace's figure sitting on the floor. He glances up, meeting my eyes before standing.

"Jace."

"Faith." Both of us run to the cell gat, our hands gipping the bars that separated us. "Are you okay?"

I smiled slightly, seeing the situation as a reverse for me to ask him if he's okay. "I'm fine. Magnus helped me." I pulled up my sleeve, revealing my ruin perfectly healed minus some scarring around it. "It'll hurt for a bit, but I'll be okay." My eyes move back to the man before me, "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine," Jace said, his eyes looking down at the ground, proving his words were fault.

My eyes moved to meet his, causing him to look up at me, "No you're not, I know you're not." He sighs. "Jace you don't have to do this alone."

"This isn't your cross to bear, Faith. I have to pay for my actions," Jace said, his eyes falling again.

I gripped the bars harder, correcting him, "Our actions. We were both there."

Shaking his head, Jace looked at me, "Not this time Faith, this time it's just me."

My mouth opened to fight back but the Silent Brother that led me here stopped me. "Time to go."

"Wait, I've barley had any time with him," I said, my head turning between the Silent Brother and Jace.

"You must leave," The Silent Brother ordered.

Jace's hands gripped mine on the bars, trying to calm me down, "Hey, hey. I'll be okay."

"You damn well better be," I mumbled, my head stretching between the bars to capture his lips in a quick kiss that he returned. As I pulled away a little, Jace's words mumbled to my lips, "See you in my dreams."

Those words echoed in my ears as the Silent Brother grabbed me and yanked me away. Out of instinct, Jace lightly lunged towards the bars, meeting my eyes as tears filled them.

I'm led back into the night air, the door closing behind me and leaving me in the presence of Magnus. He looked at me with hopeful eyes, only for them to fall when tears filled mine.