Chapter 10

Chapter 10

The night had gone and passed, the morning sun waking me up once again. After I blacked out, I slept the rest of the day and night. According to Clary, who kept checking in on me, Jace had met the same fate as well a couple of seconds after me.

But, this morning, I felt awake, alive. The pain in my arm was nonexistent and my dreams weren't shadowed with nightmares. It was probable the best night's sleep I ever had.

After grabbing something to eat, I found myself back in my room. I sat on my bed, writing in one of my many journals about what I saw. Going back through, I realized a lot of the things I had write before weren't just stories but memories, covering themselves up.

There was a small knock on my door, surprising me as I looked up. Jace stood in my open doorway. He wore a pair of sweatpants and a grey shirt. My own outfit consisted of a purple shirt and black sweat pants, thanks to Clary.

"Hey," Jace said, his arms hanging by his side as he leaned.

"Hey," I said, a smile crossing my lips at the sight of him.

Jace looked, almost nervous, like he was unsure of what to say or do. "How are you feeling?"

I nodded, setting my journal and pen down. "Better, a lot better actually. How about you?"

Pushing himself off the door entrance, Jace started to walk into my room, closing the door behind him as he talked. "I don't think I've ever slept that long or sound before."

"Tell me about it," I agreed.

Jace walked over to the edge of the bed, sitting on it and bringing one of his legs up with him. His eyes glanced over at the journal, but his voice was somewhere else.

"How's Clary doing?"

"She killed the demon that held her memories. Not that good," I said, shaking my head as my eyes looked down at my empty lap. There was a small pause as we both jus starred off at something else. It wasn't until I spoke did Jace look at me. "Listen, Jace, I'm sorry. I didn't know what-"

"It's okay," Jace stopped me before I could say anything else. "In fact, it's kind of relieving in a way." I look at him questionable, unsure how it was? "It explains why I felt the way I felt. Answers questions that I didn't even know I had."

I nod in agreement, a small smile crossing my lips. "Maybe the nightmares will finally stop," I comment.

"If not, I'll be here," Jace reassures me, making me look up at him again. I meet his eyes, finding comfort, happiness as I stare into them. Before I can stop myself, before I can talk myself out of it, I lean forward, lightly pressing my lips to the side of his cheek.

Part of me expected Jace to back away surprised, while the other part of me want him to take my hand and kiss me.

A happy medium happened.

Jace looked slightly taken back by the action, but didn't seem to complain as he looks down with a small, hidden smile. His eyes move to my bare arm, noticing the non-removable ruin on it. His hand lightly taken my arm, pulling it forward so he can get a good look at it.

When his fingers lightly run over the ruin, I feel my breath hitch.

It comes to my attention that I have no clue where his ruin is. His body is covered in them, so where a bare spot would be was almost clueless to me.

"Where's yours?" I ask curiously.

Jace glances up at me, his hand pulling back as he goes to move. I panic for a second as he stands, making me think that I went too far and he was leaving. Instead, I was grateful when his body stood at the end of my bed. His hands grabbed his shirt, lifting it up and over his head.