Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Jace's POV

Night has sat over the Institute Courtyard, but the few lights that were in the yard lit up Alec and me as we trained. My head felt a little foggy, seeming to melt into my bones and pushing me harder to fight.

Alec took a step back, catching his breath as he nodded towards me, "Your upset."

Pulling my brows together, I asked, "What makes you think I am?"

"Because you're fighting like you are." I stop my fighting, glancing at the ground before looking at Alec as he spoke. "Jace, you didn't know. It wasn't your fault what happened to the Downworlders."

Shrugging slightly, I said, "I never said it was."

"Then what's up with you?"

I drew silent for a minute, only a minute before I shook my head, "Nothing, just a lot on my mind."

"Is it Faith?"

"No, I mean yes and no. It's a long story."

Alec shrugged, "Well, I'm listening."

Part of me wanted to tell Alec, to tell him what was really going on, but this wasn't the right place or time. Readying my blade again, I smirked slightly, "Come on, you got another round in you or are you starting to get tired?"

Alec tilted his head a little before smiling and jumping up to attack. I dodged him, blocking his second attack.

"So what does this pure angel blood do for you anyway?"

I shrugged, "I don't know. Other than the ability to activate that Sword, maybe that's all it's good for."

Alec took a step back, "Clary's got the ability to draw new runes, Faith can see the future, so you must be able to do something special."

Smirking, I said, "You mean other than kick your ass?"

We both chuckled before continuing to fight. Every hit I blocked or counteracted with a different one, seeming to over top even Alec in a fight. I was always a good fighter, but now things seemed to have escalated, my fighting skills becoming a second skin with my body and controlling itself.

Once we finished up, I climbed into one of the showers before changing. I checked my phone, finding no messages from Faith. A sigh left my lips before I texted her. "Hey, I'll be home soon. Want anything?"

Before I could even put my phone in my pocket, I heard a ding and checked it. "No, I'm good. See you when you get back. Love you."

"Love you too" I texted before I slipped my phone into my pocket. Once again, it dinged, causing me to look at it and sigh. Slipping the phone back in my pocket, I headed out of the Institute and headed to the park.

Simon and Clary were sitting on a bench, making out when I approached, causing them to pull away at the sight of me.

"What are you doing here? Is everything okay?" Clary asked.

"Inquisitor Herondale just arrived at the Institute. She wants to speak with us. Now."

Clary nodded, grabbing her jacket as she stood, "Okay." She kissed Simon goodbye before we headed back to the Institute in silence.

We headed to the basement where a glass cell was, holding Valentine who was strapped in a chair. Imogen was in the cell, questioning Valentine, which we got the last bit of.

"Valentine, you and I both know the Cup can control demons. In the wrong hands, it could be catastrophic."

"In your hands, I'm a dead man," Valentine said.