Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Simon, Alec, Isabelle, Clary, Jace, and I climb into Simon's van, heading off to the destination. We pull up under the bridge in our city, its large cement railings perching the structure up.

We climb out, Alec, Isabelle, and Jace seeming to take the first few steps towards the structure.

"Let's check it out," Alec says, leading the way.

My feet, almost out of instinct, go to follow Jace as he follows Isabelle, but he suddenly stops. He turns to me, putting a hand on my arm, "Wait here a minute. I wanna see if it's safe."

I nod, watching as he moves ahead with the group. My own words come out as a whisper, only heard by my own ears, "Be careful."

Clary and Simon stand and talk while my body leans on the van. My arms cross as I wait, my head seeming to turn like a clock as I scan the area around me. The sudden feeling of burning on my right arm makes me jump slightly and hiss in pain.

I look down at my arm, the spot where it burns turning a slit red, barely noticeable unless you're looking right at it. My hand rubs it, ease the burning sensation.

Jace's voice up ahead makes me jump slightly and look up at him. "Faith, guys, it's all clear!"

Simon, Clary, and I walk towards Jace, Alec, and Isabelle, my feet seeming to approach them first. Jace holds out his hand towards me, lightly gripping it as he helps me over the cement slab on the ground.

We begin to walk down a small hill for a few minutes before Jace stops us. His attention is on Clary and I. "There's one more thing," He says with a sigh, making my eyes pull together in confusion.

"What is it?"

"Only two people can enter the City of Bones."

"What?" I asked, confused and surprised.

"Are you serious?" Clary says over top of my words.

Jace shrugs, "It's not my rules."

A sigh leaves my lips as I run my fingers through my hair, my brain racking to figure this out. Clary should be the one. She has the better chance of finding the Cup then I do.

As I opened my mouth, Clary's voice came through, speaking quickly as if to stop mine. "Faith should go."

I quickly turned to my sister, "What? No. If anyone is going to find the Cup it's you, Clary."

Clary lightly took my arm, "You need your memories too."

Jace looked at the ground for a second, "I have an idea," He said, looking back up at us. He walks over to me, lightly grabbing my left arm and pulling out his Stele. He carves a ruin on my skin, it lightly tingling my arm. He then goes to Clary, doing the same on her left arm.

"What is this?" Clary asked, watching the ruin that he carves.

"It's a "Connection" ruin. This way, when Faith goes in to get her memories back, it'll effect you out here. But it's short lasting so we'll have to move quickly," Jace said, finishing and taking a step back.

Alec shook his head, "This is a bad idea, Jace."

Jace nodded, eyeing Alec slightly, "Yeah, you keep saying that." He doesn't give Alec another look as he lightly takes my hand and starts to lead the way.

We continue to walk, the small talk with Clary and Simon behind us seeming to be the only noise. Eventually, Jace spoke up, his voice directed towards me. "You have to understand, the Silent Brothers aren't like us."