Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Faith's POV

I can feel my lungs as they fill with water. I can feel my arms reach up high and fight the waves. I can feel my legs being yanked down farther and farther. My head fills with pressure and I can't help the scream that leaves my lips, filling me up with more water.

"Hey, hey, hey, it's okay. Faith, wake up, wake up," I hear Jace's voice through the water.

His voice wakes me up and I'm sitting up so fast I'm almost crashing into Jace. He is sitting on his knees next to me, pushing wet strains of hair out of my face. "It's okay, it was just a bad dream."

I meet his eyes and the sudden feeling of relief fills me. I whisper out his name before ducking my head into his chest, causing him to wrap his arms around me in a hug. We stay like that for a minute before Jace breaks the silence.

"Must have been a pretty bad dream." He pulled away and made me look at him, "You all right?"

"Yeah. I, uh... I was back at Lake Lyn. Underwater, drowning..."

Rubbing my back, Jace says, "Well, you're all right now."

I look down at my hand as it grasps Jace's, giving it a small squeeze like I'm supposed to comfort him. "You know, everything that happened back at the lake... If it wasn't for you, for our connection, then I would probably be dead right now."

Jace smiled and shook his head a little, "Well, it's not exactly on the top of my Honeymoon list."

A smile crosses my face and I nod in agreement as I lay my head back on his chest. Jace shifts a little so he's leaning on the headboard.

Sighing slightly, I shake my head a little, "I can't believe Clary's brother is alive. I mean, it only seemed like yesterday that it was just Clary and I against the world. Now, there may be three of us."

"Yeah, two with angel blood and one with demon."

"Clary wants to find him."

Jace moved a little so he could see my face, "And you don't think that's a good idea?"

Looking off, I shrugged, "I don't know, I just have a bad feeling about the whole thing. I mean, if he's alive then the only person that's taught him right from wrong is Valentine."

"Yeah, not the best person," He mumbled, putting his arm around me and pulling me closer.

"I guess we'll just have to wait and see," I said, wrapping one of my arms around his stomach.

That morning, Clary, Jace, and I met with Alec in his office, filling him in on what we found.

"Any sign of Jonathan?" Alec asked us?

Jace shook his head, "The box that had his initials on it was empty so we tried tracking the box but dead end."

Alec scuffed, "So Valentine sent Duncan to steal a pair of baby booties?"

"Someone did. Someone who wanted to circumvent us from tracking Jonathan," I said.

"And now we have no leads on either of them. We've got nothing," Clary said with a huff.

Alec put his hands on his desk as he stood, "Actually, we have less than nothing. There's something you should know." We looked at Alec confused as he paused and sighed, looking away in shame, "The Clave doesn't have the Soul-Sword. They never did."

"What!" I exclaimed, not believing my ears.

"So the Clave has been lying this entire time?" Clary asked, her too not believing me.