Chapter 6

Chapter 6

The five of us fast walked into the Institute, Clary already foaming with anger and blame. "I thought you were Shadowhunters? I thought you protect humans? Instead, you left Simon all alone in the van. Great job, guys. You rock."

"There is some truth to the idea that human beings should have a modicum of common sense," Alec said, rolling his eyes.

Izzy hissed at her brother, "Alec, not now."

Jace came to a stop, causing us all to stop as well. "Look, they won't do anything to Simon. They just wanted to draw you out. They want the Cup, and they think you two have it," His head turned from Clary to me.

I nodded my head to the side, throwing my arms out to my side, "But, of course, we don't. Thanks mom for making things so much easier," I said, sarcastic at the end of my words.

"What are we supposed to do now?" Clary asked, seeking answers.

Alec spoke up, not seeming to give us any new answers. "We have to report to the Clave. They have to know what we've learned about Valentine."

"What, that he's my father? Great. Fine. Tell them. What good does that do for Simon?" Clary asked, clearly angry.

Jace crossed his arms, looking between all of us. "The vamps will propose a trade. Simon for the Cup."

"So, vampires will trade Simon for the Cup and Valentine will trade my mother for the Cup. Either way, I lose someone I love," Clary said. She paused, letting out a sigh as she leaned against the wall. "What if I just toss it up in the air and let them fight it out among themselves?"

Alec glared at my sister, venom in his voice, "So this doesn't matter to you?"

My head turned to Alec, taking a step towards him. "It matters, Alec, to both of us. We just need time... and a plan."

Jace nodded in agreement, watching my sister as she groaned and pushed herself off the wall. She turned, walking into the computer room where others were working on their own jobs. "I mean, look at all this stuff, these screens. I mean, can any of this help me find Simon?"

We walked towards a table, leaning against it or standing by it. My arms crossed, asking my own question, "Where is he, anyway? Some kind of crypt in Transylvania?"

Jace lightly smiled at my comment, walking over with a map. "Actually, no. That was Camille's outfit, right? They're locals."

"They're at the Hotel DuMort, down in Gansevoort Street," Izzy said. Her smile on her face told us that she had her own ways on knowing information.

Clary held her arms out wide, "And we came back here? Why? We have to go there. Let's go, now. Come on."

Alec's words stopped my sister from making a move. "We need a Clave resolution for that."

"The five of us can't declare war on the vamps all by ourselves," Izzy said, making a point.

"And we can't react without considering our options. Downworlders are slaves to their impulses. We're not," Alec added.

Izzy eyed Alec, seeming to have hit a nerve in his words. "Alec, you can't just jump on all the Downworlders."

Alec looked at his sister, "Oh, that's right. Seelies have their charms, apparently."

"What are Seelies?" I asked, hoping to break the harsh atmosphere between brother and sister.

Jace spoke up, answering my question and ending the dispute. "Like faeries. The Fair Folk. Add pixies, nixies, elves anybody half-angel, half-demon. It's pretty much a catch-all term."