Chapter 24

(This chapter is in Jace's POV from last chapter. Enjoy!)

Chapter 24

Jace's POV

The half lit cell seemed to match my mood. It felt like only half of me was even alive, and that was the half that still worried about Faith. Even with the visit from her last night, I still worried that her words could be lies.

I was so caught up in my thoughts that I missed the sound of footsteps heading towards the cell until they owner of them was right in front of me.

"Faith?" I asked, surprised and confused how and why she was here. I rose to my feet and walked towards the cell bars.

Her hands gripped the bars, "I had to come see you. I can't be away from you."

"You snuck in here?"

A smile crossed her face, one that I missed so much. "Yeah, believe it or not I can be sneaky."

I couldn't help but smile slightly at her words, only for it to disappear as the realization of how dangerous this was hit me. "You should go."

Faith's eyes scrunched together in confusion, "What?"

"If the Silent Brothers-"

"The Silent Brothers can kiss my-" Before she could finish her words a knife pierces her head, poking out towards me. My eyes go wide as I take a step back in shock.

"Faith?" I say, my eyes watching as her body drops to the ground dead. "Faith!" I yell, my feet sprinting me towards the bars as I gripped them. Out of the shadows steps the man with the bloody knife, causing my mouth to part in shock.

It was me, darkened it seemed with an evil smirk on my lips.

My eyes suddenly shot open, my body sitting up quickly as Faith's name slipped off my lips in a yell of panic and fear.

It was a dream, only a dream. Well, nightmare more like it.

"Jace? Are you okay?" I hear the sound of a man's voice in the cell next to me. I recognize it almost immediately, having heard it many times before.

"Hodge?"

"Try not to sleep. The Silent Brothers use mind control to haunt you with nightmares of those you've hurt the most."

Hodge's words mumbled out of my lips, "You must never sleep." A small scuff left my lips as I leaned my head against the wall, "So much for seeing Faith."

A sigh left Hodge after a pause, "You were right to take my hand, Jace. I never should have given the Cup to Valentine. Maybe someday you'll forgive me."

"I don't believe in forgiveness, Hodge. I just stand by my actions, good or bad, and I accept the consequences."

Chuckling softly, Hodge responds with, "Unmerciful to the bone. That's what's always made you the best. But this place, it'll bleed every ounce of defiance out of you."

"I'm nothing like you. They want me to bend, they can die trying," I half hissed at him.

"You keep saying that, Wayland. But if your trial is even half of what your nightmares are, you will be like me."

An hour passed before one of the Silent Brother took me to a large rock room. A sword sat on a large piece of rock. The Soul Sword, touching it will make you tell the truth.

Victor was there, standing tall with his hands behind his back. He watched as I stood in front of the sword, waiting for the Silent Brother to finish his entering words.