Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Somehow, I didn't think my night would continue on after Simon ran off. But, here I am, standing between a freaking out Clary who is set on finding Simon and Jace who is calling reinforcements to help.

I just wanted to go back to the Institute.

Don't get me wrong, I care about Simon. I want him to be okay. But it seems pointless to chase after a new-be vampire when he could be anywhere. And we're all human.

Jace's voice on the speaker phone pulled me back to reality as we stood out of the cemetery gates.

"Alec, we need your help."

"It's Izzy. We need you. There's been an attack at the Institute."

My eyes go wide, meeting Jace's.

"An attack?" Jace asked worriedly.

Izzy came through the phone. "Valentine created a Forsaken that went through the wards."

Jace shook his head. "That's not possible, Izzy. Nothing can get through the wards. They're Warlock spells to defend against all Downworlders."

"Not this one. It had Seelie blood with angel properties. Jace, it went after Hodge and Alec."

"Are they okay?" I asked, worried about the two men.

"They're banged up, but they'll live. Hodge killed it. It was after the Cup."

A small sigh of relief left my lips, but that didn't stop any of our nerves.

"Izzy, we'll be there as soon as we can," Jace said before hanging up. Clary, Jace, and I ran down the sidewalks of the night. The only light being signs near-by and street lamps.

Suddenly, Clary starts to slow down to a stop, causing Jace and I to stop and look back at her.

"Clary, what are you doing?"

My sister didn't answer, instead she just looked at us with sadness, confusion, and desperation in her eyes.

Jace read into this, speaking up in an angry voice, "Valentine attacked my home. Alec's injured. We've got to go, Clary."

Finally, Clary spoke up, shaking her head, "I can't. You know I can't. Simon's in danger-"

"So what about Alec?" I asked, not believing my sister. Then again, when it comes to Simon, I believe Clary would always choose him over anyone else. Maybe even me if it came down to it.

But I'd hope she'd only do that because she knows I have Jace.

"It's not safe out here, Clary," Jace spoke up, bringing me back to reality once again.

Clary sighed, "I know I have a lot to learn but I've killed vampires, demons, and so many-"

As my sister's words continued, I could see Jace getting more and more annoyed. But he seemed to find the truth in her words, stopping her quickly.

"Clary, you're right, okay? You're right." My sister blinked a few times in shock at hearing those words from Jace. Not because he hasn't said them, but because of the situation that he'd say them. "Look, maybe Luke can help you find Simon. Werewolves are really great trackers."

Nodding, Clary seemed to calm her nerves somewhat, Of course, yeah. Good idea."

I spoke up, grabbing my sister's attention, "I'm going back with Jace." My eyes then pulled to Jace's, "Is that okay?"

Jace shrugged, but in a way that said that he didn't think there was ever a doubt. "Wouldn't have it any other way."

I hid my blush as I turned back to my sister. "Let me know when you find Simon."