Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Faith

The warm tea in mugs sat in both my hands as I made my way into the livingroom of Jace and I's place. Clary sat on the couch, looking around at the place that was mostly unpacked now.

"Here you go," I said, handing her, her mug before sitting next to her.

"Thanks," She said with a sigh, her eyes returning to the house. "I still don't see why I'm here, I'd be perfectly safe at the Institute."

"You're starting to sound like Jace," I said with a smirk as I took a sip of my tea. "You're here because no one knows about this place."

Clary nodded, understanding but still not fully agreeing. She paused for a second, sipping her tea before smiling slightly. "It's nice to see this place have some life in it again."

"Yeah. I haven't touched much in your room. There's still some stuff in it if you want to go through it," I said.

My sister shrugged, "Eventually I will." Her head turned and looked at me, adjusting herself so her arm was resting on the back of the couch. "How are you feeling? I heard you got sick this morning."

Shrugging, my fingers rubbed the warm mug, "I'm better. I woke up in the middle of the night hungry and I think that just upset my stomach."

As if on cue, the front door opened and we both turned to see Jace walk in. He noticed us and waked over, "Hey."

"Hey," I replied as he leaned down and gave me a kiss, setting a hand on my shoulder.

"How are you feeling?"

"Better," I said, letting out a breath.

Suddenly, Clary jumped next to me, making Jace and I look at her as she hissed in pain. She held up her left hand, watching it as veins of grey and black overtook her hand, working its way up.

"What the hell?" She yelled.

"What's happening?" Jace asked, causing Clary to look between us.

"I, I don't know," She breathed heavily as fear overtook her eyes.

Quickly, I grabbed Clary as Jace jogged down to the car, starting it up and waiting for Clary and I to climb in. We raced over to Magnus' hoping he would have answers, all three of us worried as we watched Clary's skin continue to change to almost an ashy color.

Bursting through the door of Magnus' house, Magnus sat up from his couch, looking at us and sighing. "Don't you people have phones?"

"We need help," I said, leading Clary over to Magnus.

Magnus looked at her ashy hand, analyzing it for a minute before saying, "La Chair Brulee."

"I'm guessing that's not a dessert," Clary said.

"It means "the burnt flesh." It's an old blood oath spell," Magnus said, moving over to his shelves of books.

Jace look at Clary and I, "Then it must be Iris. She said you owed her a favor."

Clicking in her brain, Clary's mouth parted, "At Max's party, she said I have to find Madzie."

Moving over to us with a book, Magnus said, "Then we better start looking. I can get rid of the pain, but that's about it. I'm afraid once the magic reaches your heart..."

I shook my head, looking at Clary whose I's looked at me. "So if I don't find Madzie, I'm dead."

Putting my hands on her shoulders, I shook my head, saying, "No, no. I'm not going to let that happen. Magnus, there has to be a cure. There has to be something we can do to stop this."