I sat up and jumped to the floor with my vampire grace, not even making a sound. I slid my shoes on before sneaking out of the door and into the hallway. It was even creepier here at night with the empty hallways and the silent wind blowing in through open windows.

My fangs kept throbbing in need of blood. The only blood I've consumed since arriving was Ms. Priss Bitch's blood and needless to say, I was not a fan. I mean sure, they served blood in the cafeteria, but I noticed that no other vampire bothered touching it. They didn't even heat it up.

I made my way out of the dorms and onto the soft grass outside. It was actually quite peaceful out here when no one was around. I walked to the dense forest in hope of finding some small animals. Sorry little guys.

I used my night vision to look around the woods, spotting some squirrels here and there. My head swiveled in the direction of a stick cracking as I made my way over to it. I peered through the branches, praying that it was a deer.

My eyes widened at the sight of a few figures in robes walking almost silently through a small dirt path leading deeper into the forest. My curiosity got the better of me before I followed closely behind.

Something in my brain was telling me to go back, that something was wrong. But I couldn't. My gaze stayed trained on the figures as I continued deeper into the woods.

I kept to the shadows as the figures met in a large clearing filled with others in similar attire. I was still too far away to hear anything but the beating of my own heart. There was a figure on the ground of the clearing with a sack over their head and their hands bound behind their back.

Something was indeed wrong here. I watched as the hooded figures made a circle around the person, pulling off the sack and revealing William from my Potions and Ancient Treasures classes. I furrowed my brows trying to understand what was happening. Was this some weird frat initiation that I was stumbling across?

My eyes went wide as the hooded figures raised their hands before one came up and slit the neck of William. I opened my mouth in a silent scream before a hand came up and latched itself around my mouth tightly. I struggled, trying to regain my wits to fight before they launched me in the air. I tried kicking out, before their grip tightened.

"Quit fighting me unless you want to fall to your death," a familiar voice said from behind me.

I exhaled a breath. "Harley, what are you doing here?" I thought he was asleep when I left the room. My eyes widened at the thought that he was on the way to join the cult group.

He must have guessed where my imagination was going before he responded. "I heard you leaving the dorms and I-....I noticed you going into the woods and I was making sure that you were okay."

I still felt the fast beating of my heart as I replayed everything that I saw. "What the fuck was that back there?"

He sighed deeply. "I don't know, Mae."

Harley held me tight against him as he landed, tucking his wings in before sitting me down. I turned around to look at him as dizziness hit me full force. He was saying something to me with a worried look on his face, but I wasn't listening. My eyes narrowed down to the vein pulsing in his neck.

I couldn't help myself as I pounced on him, sinking my fangs into his neck. His hands landed on my hips, not pushing me away, but pulling me closer. I felt his erection through his pants as he pulled me against him. I greedily drank from him, making sure not to overdo it.

At last, I pulled away from him seeing a dazed look in his eyes as he stared down at me. His thumb pulled my bottom lip down slightly as he quietly groaned.

"Guess angels have exotic blood then," I said as a joke, feeling an overwhelming feeling of intimacy at this situation.

He snapped out of whatever trance he was in as he removed his thumb and chuckled. "I'm not an angel."

I furrowed my brows in confusion. "But the wings-"

He smirked before replying. "Half angel, half demon. Did you seriously not notice that they were black?"

I let that thought bounce around in my head. I mean I guess that made sense. "Well, same difference to me."

It was his turn to look confused. I started walking before I elaborated. "Angels represent the good in people, while demons represent the bad. But there isn't ever just one, is there? I mean, we try so damn hard to be good for other people, and yet it's impossible. There's sin around every corner. Why not indulge in it?"

He didn't look at me but I know that he was listening as I continued. "So who's to say that one is greater than the other? I could be a faithful virgin till the day that I die, but it doesn't matter. Because if I make one small mistake, tell one small lie, then it's over. I'm all of the sudden stuck in the middle of the two."

He looked off, nodding his head in thought. "Makes sense. Most people try to persuade others that they're good and faithful, but it doesn't matter. Not unless you yourself believe it. Insecurities hide around every corner and that's what makes our decisions up. Are we fighting to get past our demons for the greater good, or are we simply selfish in wanting to do it for ourselves?"

I looked up at the six-foot-five angel, demon, it didn't matter, and realized that those shadows following him around wasn't just for show, but were actually real. He had his own inner demons, and fuck me if I didn't want to help him with them. 

He stopped outside of the dorm building and turned to me. I looked up at him, noticing he didn't look ready to go back inside yet. His warm brown eyes met mine as a flicker of emotions passed through his eyes.

I looked over at the wings that were spread out around him. My hand reached up, running my fingers over the soft black feathers. He groaned, grabbing my wrist to halt my exploring.

I looked up into his lust filled eyes. "I'm sor-"

His lips crashed into mine before he pushed me up against the brick wall of the dormitory. His lips felt soft but rough as he kissed me with force. I ran my hands up his broad chest as his hands smoothed down my back.

I moaned into his mouth as his tongue tangled with mine. I felt my core throbbing with need as his erection pressed against my stomach. He was a whole foot taller than me, causing him to bend and meet me halfway. I was practically a ballerina as I stood on my tippy toes, trying to keep up with the pace of his kiss.

I ran my hands across his wings, eliciting a noise caught between a growl and a groan. He pulled back, pushing my hair out of my face. "Goodnight," he said before taking off into the night.

I fell back against the wall, touching my lips as they tingled from the force of the kiss. I exhaled, shaking my head. What the fuck just happened? First I saw a kid get murdered? Then this? What the hell is happening to me?

Ahhh! I'm so excited for the plot of this book. I hope you guys are intrigued by the woods scene because it's a major plot of this story. There's a lot to unpack in this chapter. First, the fight scene with Josephine and then the kiss with Harley?! I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter :)

Question: Is there anything specific that you would like to see in this book? Maybe something that you thought the previous book lacked? Do we like a slower paced romance? Meaning, not the sex necessarily being slow paced but like the mating process. Do you guys think it's bad if she does have sex with any of the guys before she finds out that they're mates? I don't know what I want to do about that yet.