SOF: Chapter 85

Three weeks later

Carefully I fold the cashmere sweater before I place it in my Louis Vuitton suitcase. I can't help but grin as I close the suitcase. A year ago, I wasn't even able to dream about such wealth. And now... Now I'm a part of it. Part of the High Society. Part of the Upper East Side Elite. With him by my side.

He changed my life. Turned it upside down - and I wouldn't want it any other way.

A knock at the door interrupts my thoughts.

"Come in!" I said in a loud voice. It's the first morning without this strong nausea for six weeks now. An awesome feeling! I definitely won't miss this room. Or the food. He was right, the food is horrible in this hospital.

My smile drops as I see my best friend walking in.

"Oh, why so sad Maine?" she asks me, a little disappointed.

"I just..." he promised to pick me up. But ever since Richard started working again a week ago, he has been absent. Not full time, but... His mind seemed somewhere else every time he was with me. Physically he was there, but his mind... His mind was very far away from me. Us. His family.

She reflects my disappointed smile, "I know, honey. He has to work. But don't worry, I brought you company to keep you happy." she says before she holds out the door. Amanda and Lizzie walk in grinning. "SURPRISE!"

My huge grin drops as soon as my eyes catch a nervous Patricia. "You told them?!" I mouth to her, as both women throw their arms around me.

She shakes her head and mouths back, "Told them you had an accident... In the shower."

I roll my eyes before I hug the two women.

"Alright, we need to go shopping!" Amanda announces, "As in wedding shopping!"

I open my mouth to say something, but nothing comes out.

"Ring!" Lizzie says, grabbing my left hand. "Huge!" she announces as her's and Amanda's eyes are focussed on my engagement ring.

"I know."

"Richard Faulkerson style!" Patricia said giggling.

I roll my eyes. "But we need to drive to my place first. Luggage..."

"No need for that. Lizzie!" Patricia says in a loud voice. Wait, is he working for her now as well? Is that even legal?

"Lizzie..." I breathe out.

"Glad to see you're doing better, Miss Mendoza. I'll take these." Lizzie says smiling, picking up the suitcases.

I nodd, "Thank you, Lizzie."

"But before we go wedding dress shopping, we have to get our mani and pedis!" Patricia said smiling.

"So, how did you guys meet?" Lizzie asks me.

Does she have to ask me that question now?! Now when I am trying to get my pregnant body into this wedding gown?! Now when I'm in the fitting room?! After Kleinfeld, and Monique Lhuillier are our last stop in the wedding dress world.

"Hasn't Patty or Amanda told you the story?"

"They did, but I'd like to hear it from you. After all, this seems all like a Cinderella Story..."

I fake a laugh, "Well it surely didn't start as a Cinderella Story..."

"It was fate."

I smile, "Yes, maybe it was..."

"What was your first impression of Richard?"

"That he is an arrogant, superficial, intimidating and very hot man." I say and laugh, "You know, usually men feel intimidated by me but he was the only man who ever made me feel intimidated. I call it the Faulkerson-effect." I say as I close the zipper of the dress. Finally I made it into this dress. God, it's been pure torture...