SOF Chapter 7

I wake up to an familiar sound. The beep. My eyes slowly open and I see a familiar room. A room in to the left. I'm connected to several infusions. One is yellow, probably vitamins. One is clear, Saltine Solution and one is red,blood. That's the mixture which is going to make me feel better. I sigh and brush through my hair as I notice Patricia sleeping in the chair across me. I have a single room. I've never had a single room. And it has dark wood and bright yellow walls. A combination I would never dare to make. The room does look better than the normal hospital rooms, but it still sucks being here.
I move a little to get the glass on the nightstand which is filled with water, but I wake Patricia.
She quickly open her eyes and smiles at me.
I return her smile , although mine is weaker.
"You're awake." Patricia notices hope in her eyes.
"What happened?" I asked her as I try to reach the glass.
Patricia gets up and hands me the glass, "You passed put in the bathroom, just like you predicted: I drove you to the hospital, so no ambulance. No one knows what happened. I didn't inform your parents, which you probably want. But I had to inform your professor, to tell him you won't be getting your diploma personally today. As soon as we reached--"
"What do you mean by today?" I ask her confused.
"Our graduation is today?"
"It was. I got my diploma thirty minutes ago. But I couldn't get your's. You have to get it yourself."
I look at her shocked, " H--How....Why? Does this mean....?"
"Dr. Luna didn't say anything to me. Well, he did say that you're okay and you will recover, which claims me in a way. A nurse took a little blood from you earlier, for test she told me."
I nodd. "Okay. Thank you, Pat." I say and hug her.
" No problem. After all, it's not the first time I'm doing this."
"You shouldn't be driving your best friend to the hospital so often at all."
She shruggs, "I kind of like it here. Cute male nurses, you know."
I laugh as the door opens and Dr. Luna enters. He looks so old. Of course he's old stupid my subconsciousness remarks dryly, last time you saw him was a couple of years ago.
"Oh, Maine, you're awake, " the man in the lab coat says smiling. He has warm brown eyes and grey hair. And a beautiful smile. I bet he was a womanizer in the earlier time, my inner goddess says grinning.
"Is it back?" I ask him worried, "Is my leukemia back, Dr. Luna?"
He sits down on the side of my bd and takes my hand. Bad sign. Really bad sign. This isn't good. Oh no. "No, Maine, it's not back. You fought the cancer twelve years ago and you won. We're making test every six months to make it sure it is still gone, which it is. You're cancer free."
I let it out a big sigh, " Oh thank god."
"But that doesn't mean you are allowed to drink like every other student. Your body can't handle so much alcohol at once."
I nodded, "I noticed. Choking blood is always a bad sign."
"As I guideline I would say not more than three glass of wine at an evening." he says and I nodd.
"Where am I able to go?"
He smile, "In a couple of hours. Once you have all the infusions in you, you're able to go. About two more hours."
"Good.......And thank you."
"Thank your best friend for calling me." Dr. Luna says his eyes focused on Patricia.
"Already did that." I say smiling as I watch him leaving the room.. As soon as he closes the door I feel relief. Happiness. I look at Patricia. " You should go celebrate with your parents. It's your big day. I'm gonna get out of here pretty soon anyways. I don't need a babysitter."
"But----"
"No buts, Pat. Go out with your parents and have fun. But don't drink so much. You've heard what the doctor said." I say and we both laugh .
"Okay." she says nodding, "But call me once you get home. Oh speaking of home, it's almost just boxes in there. I packed up the kitchen, living room, bathroom and my room. Your's is nearly done as well. The moving truck already on it's way to the City."
I nodd. "Okay. I' m going to pack up the things this evening then."
"No. You will do nothing but rest. I'm going to do that." she says before she hugs me. "I'm so glad you're alright."
It's the first time I notice the flowers. White and Yellow carnations. "Are those your flowers?" I ask her.
Patricia shakes her head as she gets up from the bed. "No. They were already here when I returned from the bathroom. No idea who sent them."
"And you really told no one about my situation?"
She nodds, "No one but your professor."
I shake my head stupid idea. "Okay. Go out with your parents and celebrate. Have fun!"
"Call me when you're home." she says as she walks to the front door. She stops at the flowers, "Hey, there's a card!" she gets the card out of the flowers and hands it to me.
"Get well soon. Richard Faulkerson." I read out confused and then I look at Patricia. She's just as shocked as me. "I thought you only told my professor?"
"Guess he told Mr. Faulkerson at the ceremony." my best friend says and shruggs, "But isn't it sweet that he sent you flowers?"
"It's not sweet. It's confusing. Very confusing." I remark and glance at her, "Shouldn't you be with your parents right now?"
She nodds, "Yes. I'll see you later." she says before she leaves me alone in the big hospital room.
I sigh as I read the message on the card again. Why did he sent me those flowers? Why does he care, when he clearly showed me that he doesn't? Why is this all so confusing? Why can't be easy?
Stupid, Richard Faulkerson. Already messing with my head again. Damn it.
I close my eyes to get some more sleep. I dream of bright brown eyes. Stupid, Richard Faulkerson. Even in my dreams I can't run from him.

I get out of the taxi which drove me from the hospital to my apartment. The whole house is empty, every student is put, celebrating the graduation with their parents. I sigh, I shouldn't have drunk anything that night. I t wouldn't have saved me a lot of energy. Well, lesson's learned. I pick up my bag and slowly walk over the building, passing carefully a street. After all, I do seem to tend to have accident with driving cars or so. As I reach the building, I get out my keys.
"How was your stay at the hospital, Miss Mendoza?" I hear a voice behind myself and let the keys fall to the ground. I turn around and see him reaching for the keys. What is he doing here?
"Relaxing." I answer in a cool voice. "Who told you I was at the hospital?"
"You're professor did. He told me that you've had an incident." he explains as he hands me back the keys. As our fingers touch I feel the electricity again. Damn it.
"Well, I am feeling better now. Thank you for asking, Mr. Faulkerson. "I say as I open the door. "And thank you for the flowers." I add in a polite way as I pick up the bag and make way into the building.
"Maine," he starts.
"No." I say to him dryly. He rejected me. Twice. I can't handle a third time.
"Let me at least carry the bag to your apartment. You shouldn't be carrying something this heavy." he offers and I sigh.
We walk silently up the stairs to the apartmen. "I'm sorry for calling you in a drunken state. It was very inappropriate." I apologized for my behaviour.
"We've all experienced this once. Maybe not in a such dramatic way......." he says to me. " You gotta know your limits, Maine. Do you think more often?"
"No. And I don' t intend to repaeat this."
He nodds, "So you've learned your lesson?"
"The hard way, but yes I did." I say as we reach the apartment, "Thanks for carrying the bag, but I think I can take it from here." I say, ening the front door.
" You' re welcome." he says smiling. Gosh, this eyes!
I shake my head as he hands me the bag. "Goodbye, Richard." I say as I walk into the apartment.
"Goodbye, Maine." I hear his voice before I close the front door. I lean against the wooden closed front door. God how embarrassing! why can't he leave me alone? Does he have to put salt into my wounds?
In heat a knock on the front door and turn around to open it. There he stands. Still looking perfect. Unlike me. I look horrible. Weak. Pale.
"Your diploma." he says, holding up a black leather quadrant.
I nodd, "Thanks." I said, taking the quadrant from him.
He nodds. "Maine, " he starts again. "Can we talk?"

I shake my head. "No. There is nothing to talk about. You've rejected me. Twice. There's no need to reject me a third time .I have no intention to talk to you to be rejected again. You've sent me your signals. You clearly aren't into me. Which is okay. It's fine. I mean--" I stop due to his perfect lips on mine. He kisses me softly, but I am too amazed to return his kiss. Too amazed by the situation and too amazed by his wonderful lips. He let go and my inner goddess yells a big loud NO!

Comment...share...vote...

wait..did they just kiss..finally🙊