SOF: CHAPTER 63

I let myself fall on the soft couch and take a deep breath before I open my eyes again. The folders are still on the table in front off the couch. Still staring back at me and yelling: "Open me!"

I'm afraid of what it's inside. I don't know what exactly he already knows about me.

I sigh before I take her folder in my hands. Irina's folder.

I open it and get greeted by a portrait of a very beautiful woman. a woman who looks breathtaking. She has shiny white teeth, pierce green eyes and beautiful long blonde hair. She looks like a supermodel!

I put the picture and look at her file which is filled with the most basic information ever:

Name: Irina Kathrina Pawlov

Address: Moscow, Russia

Father Sascha Pawlov

Mother: Lilia Pawlov

Religion: Catholic

Sexual Orientation: Unknown

And then... Then there are his notes. He has such a beautiful handwriting.

His notes are a neutral as possible: What she likes, what she doesn't like, habits, flaws.....

That's all. Two sheet of papers. that's all what he still has of her. Nothing more and nothing less.

I put the folder beside me and stare at my folder. I pick it up and open it.

All I see is a picture. That's everything what's in the folder. No basic information. No personal notes. Just this....This picture. The picture of him and me from the horse race a year ago. We smile in the camera and his hand rests on my hips. It's a nice picture.

I smile. It's lie the picture says it all. While in Irina's folder is her whole history, in mine is just..... A picture. As if a picture would be all he needs from me.

======================================================================

I roll over in my bed in the middle of the night. the warm soft light from a burning candle rips me out of my sleep. I slowly open my eyes and see his silhouette on the wall. I look at the clock; it's 4 in the morning.

"Richard?" I ask him as I lift myself and walk over to the armchair, in which he is sitting. He's staring out the window, which shows an almost perfect view of Manhattan skyline.

"You wanna know why I live in New York City? Why I've chosen this city instead of Seattle or Los Angeles?" he asks me, although I feel like he's talking to himself.

There's an open wine bottle standing on the couch table. His glass is half filled with the dark red liquor. "The anonymity. That's why I chose New York. You are anonymous in the city. It's an amazing feeling to walk down the streets of Manhattan and not be recognized. Something I'd never have if I lived in Seattle or Los Angeles. frankly, I feel my steps watch when I'm in Long Island visiting my family. New York is the only place I can feel.......Normal. Manhattan has created a shield for me in the last couple of years. a shield of safety. It's anonymity safe me."

I didn't know he hated the spotlight so much. Or as much as i hate it. I always thought he enjoyed it. Enjoyed the women who come with the fame.....I guess I was wrong.

"But now," he says, looking me into my eyes, "Now it has lost all of it's glory. Manhattan is a wonderful city but it has lost it's safety. Not only for me.... But for you as well."

I sit down on his lap, "It's not New York which changed. Manhattan hasn't....It's not the city disappointed you."

He nodds, "I know. It's my own dumbness. I should have never put you into so much danger, Maine. I-"

I pull him in a hug, "I'll be okay."

He looks me in the eyes, "I'm sorry for waking you up, Maine."

I smile softly at him. "Don't worry about me. When did you get here?"

"A couple of minutes ago. I've been busy with Nick and his team....."

I nodd before I kiss him softly, "I love you, don't you ever forget that, okay?"

"I love you, too." he whispers into my ear before he rests his head on my shoulder.

Short but sweet update...

Enjoy Reading...

vote...comment...