Chapter Fourteen: Shocking Conversations

Start from the beginning

"Sweetheart, you already know that. I've kissed you more than once. There has to be more than that." His stalking steps caused her to walk backward as she shook her head and held her hand out to stop him.

"'Tis best to admit it now, Charlotte. You know I'll eventually get you to tell me. Not that I'll mind the task." He stepped closer, reached out and clasped his hand around her extended wrist, and tugged her into his arms. "I doubt that blush had anything to do with any conversation about the opera or a buggy ride." He rubbed his hand up and down her back as he leaned down to nibble her ear.

"Radley?" she asked in a breathy whisper. "You shouldn't..."

"Shouldn't what, my dear?" he breathed as he kissed her neck. "To blush as you need, you were thinking of being in my arms, weren't you?" He slowly moved his hand from her back to the side of her waist and then purposely grazed the side of her breast. "You are so delectable."

She gasped at the sensation of his fingers teasing her breast and started to step away, but his other arm held her against him. "You should not be doing this, Radley."

He raised his head to look at her face and the dreamy look in her eyes brought his cocky grin back. "Do you want me to stop?"

"Behave yourself," she said while escaping from his hold.

He merely reached out and brought her back into his arms. "I don't think you want that, Charlotte." His lips came down and captured hers. The kiss was filled with passion and neither fought it. His hand had traveled from her waist down to her lovely bottom and that's when he heard footsteps coming in their direction. He raised his head to see the dazed look in her eyes as she slowly opened them. She had a good hold on his neck and he had to pull her hand away. "We will definitely finish this discussion later."

As an act of innocence, he turned her around so her back was to the door, then pretended to study the sculpture of the warrior. "I've seen this piece while in Rome."

Ruth came into the room and asked, "Would you like to see my art, Radley?"

No, what he wanted he knew he couldn't have. Charlotte was standing there in a daze blushing and he enjoyed seeing it. Accepting the circumstances, they joined Ruth to see her paintings.

*

Across the hall in the library, Ben was retrieving the letters from his the desk drawer for Vivian to read.

"Owen said you wrote to me to feel as if I were with you."

"Yes, that is true. When you tell someone they are not permitted to do something, especially when they long to do it, can bring rebellion. You felt this when you learned about our courtship. Radley told me you insisted I come and see you." She smiled as she nodded. "I feared the repercussions would be great if I disregarded his rules. To compensate, I began writing to you as if I would send them." He set a thick stack of letters on top of the desk. "Owen always told me that one day I should give them to you to read."

"May I ask you questions about what you wrote?"

"Of course you may. Shall I read them to you?"

"Would you?"

He observed her pleading eyes and unfolded the first letter.

My dear sweet Vivian,

It has been three days since I told you goodbye and was told not to get in contact with you until given permission. I fear what my lack of care will make you think ill of me. Believe me, I argued with your father after hearing such an edict. He refused to explain and I worried he would dissolve our contract to marry. That would be something I could not live with.