Chapter 59

The drive back to my house went in a blur

The drive back to my house went in a blur. I had too many questions. Too many doubts. But most of all I just needed to talk to my best friend. Neil. He had told every single thing regarding my family and my life to Sam. I knew that because when I questioned Heather to find out if she was bluffing about the whole thing, she rattled off every little thing that had happened to me in the last few weeks in a blink of an eye. It proved her point. It proved Max's point. 

One of my friends had gone behind my back. And there was only one thing I wanted to know now - Why?

When I pulled into my driveway, Ash and Neil's car were already parked in it. Ash had the extra key I had given her the other night, so they were already inside the house and I found all three of them in the living room, bickering about something. 

When Ash spotted me her face broke into a huge grin. "So? How was it?" 

"How was what?" I frowned. 

"Don't play dumb, I know what you and Tyler were up to this morning." She wriggled her eyebrows, making both Neil and Avi groan. "I need details." 

"No! Please, " Neil jumped in, "Spare us the details." 

"But how–" I trailed off and they chuckled at my confused expression. 

"It was an educated guess." Ash grinned. "I went to the kitchen and saw the dirty dishes, your discarded t-shirt. So...things got wild after a romantic breakfast?" 

 I was in no mood for all this questioning. I signed and shook my head. "I didn't sleep with him." 

"But…?" She prompted. 

I just rolled my eyes and walked into the kitchen, dumping all the bags I was holding, and took a deep breath. I would have to talk to them about this. It's now or never. No point in hiding things. 

Just then Avi walked in. He studied my face for a long moment before asking "You okay?" 

"Nope." 

"What's going on?" 

"I'll tell you what's going on," I muttered striding back into the living room with Avi hot on my heels. 

"Whoa! Why do you have that if-you-look-in-my-direction-I'll-murder-you face?" Neil chuckled, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I'm glad you asked. I'm pissed, Neil. Really pissed." I clenched my jaw and shook my head. "No, I'm not pissed. I'm furious." 

His smile faded. Maybe it was my attitude or maybe the frantic energy of my movements had him concerned too. "What happened?" 

"Let me start from the beginning." I clasped my hands together. "You remember how Courtney's birthday party was crashed by a few guys from Edgewood high? And you guys suspected that maybe Max was also there that night?"