Chapter 34

"There's still some time left for the first period to end, what do you want to do?" Tyler asked as he pulled up into the parking area

"Let's get some coffee," I said massaging my forehead.

We got out of his jeep and started walking towards the campus cafeteria. I was already feeling the first signs of the oncoming flu, because of my adventurous night. And the lack of sleep certainly didn't help my situation.

"You okay?" he asked, noticing my discomfort.

"Nope. I feel like ten pounds of shit in a five-pound bag."

"Wow." He chuckled. "Anything I can do to help?"

"Yeah. Stop looking so upbeat, and fresh, it's not fair. You were with me all night too!"

"I have had nights which were far worse, " he said looking ahead. "And like I said earlier, I had a lot of fun last night, so naturally I'm in a cheerful mood."

"I had a great time too."

"But you are still grumpy, " he grinned and I shrugged.

"I guess, I'm always grumpy in the morning."

"True that, " he said and I rolled my eyes.

We got our coffees, and when I started walking towards a small bench outside the cafeteria, he grabbed my hand and started leading me the opposite way.

"Where are we going?"

"You'll see, " he said dragging me along with him.

After a few minutes, I realized where he was taking me. Our school football field.  He led me to the bleachers and climbed up, to sit down at the topmost seats. I followed him and took a seat next to him.

It was very windy out here, and I struggled to tame my hair, as I redid it into a tight ponytail. The ground was completely empty except for us, which made it oddly peaceful.

When I turned to look at him, I found him staring off into space, with a hint of smile on his lips.

"So this is your happy place, " I said with a smile and he shrugged.

"I don't know, I never thought of it like that. But it surely is one of my favorite spots in this school, " he said and I nodded.

None of us said a word as we drank our coffees in silence and after a while, he reached for my hand as he said, "Come on, let's take a long walk back to the school building before the next class starts."

He led me towards the center of the football field and I stopped, looking around in wonder.  It was a massive stretch of green, and the bleachers placed around the field looked tiny from here. I could only imagine the thrill of playing here, when the entire area, including the bleachers, was packed with a huge crowd cheering you on. The excitement and adrenaline that comes from it.