Chapter 40

When we got to the cafe, Ash, Avi, Neil, Sam, Jace, and Ryan, were already there waiting for us

When we got to the cafe, Ash, Avi, Neil, Sam, Jace, and Ryan, were already there waiting for us. I told them everything that had happened and got them up to date with everything.

A string of curses went around the group as soon as I stopped talking. Sam was assessing all our faces and reactions with curiosity, seeming unsure of what her reaction should be. On the other hand, Ash had gone alarmingly pale and the boys looked furious.

When I looked around the table, I was so grateful to have so many people in my corner. They were always there for me, no questions asked. I was hit by a sudden pang of guilt, for bringing all this drama into their lives.

"How do we deal with this? What next?" Avi asked, clearly stressed out.

"Well, I'm still finalizing plans, but I was hoping I could cross the Mexican border tonight, " I answered, thoughtfully, in an attempt to lighten the mood. It worked because I got a few chuckles and Ash's groan in response.

"My contact Pedro can set us up with new lives, " Neil said, taking out his phone.

"New life, new identity, and a change of scenery. I could use that, " Avi nodded.

Ashley slapped her forehead, muttering something under her breath and we burst out laughing.

This was the privilege of having best friends. You could speak absolute nonsense but still have that nonsense, backed up, and respected.

"On a serious note, I haven't really given it much thought, yet. Let's wait and watch." I shrugged.

"That's not comforting," Ash frowned.

"I don't know what you expect me to say, Ash!" I groaned and buried my head in my hands.

"Sorry, I'm just...nevermind, " Ash mumbled.

"It might be nothing. Mr. Stone probably just wanted to make sure you'll not speak up and you know...cause a scandal. And you're not planning to do that, so we don't have a problem. Right?" Avi said, his questioning gaze trained on me.

"Right...yes! Totally. We won't have a problem, you guys should stop worrying about it," I answered, putting on a smile, though I wasn't entirely convinced about it. I glanced at Tyler, he hadn't spoken a word since we joined our friends. He was drumming his fingers on the table, with a faraway look in his eyes.

He was always the calm and collected one. Someone you could count on, no matter what the situation was. But right now, seeing him so tense and...lost, was making me nervous. The look on his face and his entire demeanor was unsettling.

Just then, the server got our orders and placed it in front of us. I cradled my cup of caramel latte and tried to focus on the conversation that had thankfully steered towards other lighter topics.

"Hey, so are we going together tonight? Should I come to pick you guys up?" Neil asked.

"Going where?" I asked.