Chapter 5

The next day, at lunch, all of us were sitting at our usual spot by the tree

The next day, at lunch, all of us were sitting at our usual spot by the tree. It was a peaceful day, one of the days that could automatically get you in a happy, dreamy mood.

"Stop singing Neil, you are ruining the mood," I mumbled, and Neil stopped to give me a look.

"What mood? Besides, if anything I am making the mood."

"Oh please. You sound like a dying walrus," I said.

"Rude," Neil snapped but stopped singing. And I noticed he was unusually happy today.

"Anything you want to share with the class, Neil?" I asked.

"Yeah, you are in an awfully good mood today." Avi grinned at him, watching him with narrowed eyes.

"I'm just happy we won our last game. It was a big one for us." He shrugged.

"And?" I prodded, sensing that there was something more than just that.

He looked at me for a while, then broke into a huge smile. "Well...and I think I am in love," he announced, his cheeks a little flushed.

"Finally!" Ash squealed.

"About time," Avi said, patting his shoulder.

"Aww, have you told her yet?" I grinned.

"Yeah, we sorta confessed to each other last night."

"Oh my God, I need every detail. It's been a year since you guys got together, right?" Ash asked.

"Yeah, almost." Neil laughed. "Although, it's been only 6 months since we made it official."

Just then I heard someone yell, "Veronica!"

When I looked around, Tyler was striding across the school ground to the patch of grass we were sitting on. Being his usual confident self, wearing a black t-shirt and dark blue jeans, messy hair, and an easy smile.

Suddenly, I sat up straight as all of yesterday's memories came back to me. His distraught condition, tear-stained cheeks, and his cold behavior. I could not take that image out of my mind, nor could I ignore the contrast between the boy I saw yesterday and the one I was seeing, right now. But I had promised myself that I will not pry anything out of him unless he wanted to share it with me. It was his personal life and I respected that. So I acted normal as if nothing strange had happened.

"Hey, Tyler." I smiled up at him as he came over and stood towering over all of us.

"Hey! Um...can I talk to you for a sec?" he asked, looking a little uneasy.

"Yeah sure," I said and got up, following him towards the campus building.

"So about yesterday..." He started before I interrupted him.

"You don't have to explain anything. Yesterday didn't happen," I assured him.

He blinked in surprise at my response and said, "Wow, okay. Thanks, and I'm sorry for being kinda rude to you."