Calm

Demi wrapped her arms around Y/n's waist, squeezing her tight into her chest. Y/n put down the knife, scooping handfuls of shredded lettuce into the mixing bowl. 

"What you doing?"

"Prepping," Y/n replied with a smile, seeing her reflection in the window in front of her, Demi's head resting on her shoulder. 

"Can I help?"

"Do you want to?"

"Yeah?"

"You're not going to start complaining 'cause the pan is too hot like last time?"

"No?"

"Okay."

"Y/n..." Demi whined, walking over to the fridge and rearranging the magnets into a different pattern. Y/n poured a glug of oil into the frying pan and turned the gas on, holding her hand over the surface as it slowly heated up. 

"Okay. All yours."

Demi turned back around, shoulders hunched forward. 

"No-o-o...I need you to show me what to do!"

"You said you wanted to do it!"

"I said I wanted to help!"

Y/n managed to keep a straight face for all of five seconds before a grin cut her expression in two and she reached for the aromatics herself. "Fine."

"Y/n, don't do this to me!"

"I'm not doing anything."

"You're being mean!"

Y/n dropped the veg in, hearing it sizzle, before walking over to Demi and placing a kiss on her forehead. "I'm sorry. Forgive me?"

She put on her best puppy dog eyes, sticking her bottom lip out. Demi sighed dramatically. "Yeah. I guess."

With a laugh, Y/n stepped back to the stove, using a spatula to move stuff around in the pan. She heard the squeak of the chair being dragged across the floor as Demi took a seat at the table. 

"Babe?"

"Mhm?"

There was a pause and Y/n was almost about to turn around before Demi eventually started speaking again. 

"Why aren't we going tonight?"

There was the familiar, sickening buzz that spread over her skin as she tried not to outwardly react. "Going to what?"

But she already knew what Demi was going to say. Kicking herself, she envisioned the flyer she left on the side cabinet by the door that she had promised herself she would throw in the bin but didn't. She envisioned Demi getting back from work and seeing it, and then not saying anything about it for two weeks. 

"That event your friend is putting on." Y/n kept her back turned. "I saw the invite she gave you."

"Oh, that..." Y/n said tightly, "No, she wasn't inviting me, exactly. It was just, you know...if we were free."

"But we are free."

"But isn't this better? Than standing about in some dull function room with loads of people we don't know?"

There was another pause. And Y/n knew that, this time, she wasn't going to get away with it. 

"Are you ashamed of me?" Demi's voice was tiny and almost brought tears to Y/n's eyes. 

"What? No! Of course not!"

"Then why haven't I met any of your friends? Why have you never introduced me?"