Bully pt.3

Her sheets are really soft, you think to yourself, lying in the dark and staring up at the ceiling. Except it's not that dark anymore. The purple sky of morning time breathes through the thin gauze curtains,  delicately rippling from the open window. Rolling over to face that direction, you half-shut your eyes again. You don't remember her getting up in the middle of the night to open it. 

She has a digital clock, so you can't hear the constant ticking like you do in your bedroom with the cheap alarm that you got from work. So the room is deathly quiet, only the walls inhaling and exhaling slowly as more light gradually pours in. You're not sure if you fall back asleep before you feel her moving beside you. 

"Y/n?" she whispers. You roll back over so you're flat, turning your head to face her. She's looking at you with her brown eyes, which look darker in the morning. 

"I didn't wake you, did I?" she asks, a little louder but still with a croak to her voice, not quite woken up yet. You shake your head. 

"No. I've been awake for a while."

She lifts her hand out from under the covers, picking at the threads of the pillowcase. 

"Can I tell you a secret?" she says, looking down at her fingers and not at you. 

"Of course," you reply, turning to your side and tucking your arm under your cheek. She makes you wait for a moment and you can see her rolling the words over in her head, trying not to get it wrong. Your heart stutters a little, the way it does that makes your chest feel tingly and it spreads all the way down to the tips of your toes. Maybe this is where it all unravels, where she retracts everything she's been saying to you and sends you out by the scruff of your neck. Maybe she'll get her security guard to escort you out to make sure you're really gone. Or maybe that other girl she sent...Katie? Kelsey? You can't remember. And the longer her silence drags on, the more your skull feels stuffed with cotton wool and can't think of anything. 

"I had feelings for you too."

"Huh?"

She's still looking down. One of the threads is completely loose now and she runs it under her fingernail. 

"In middle school."

You feel yourself frowning involuntarily and you're not able to hide it quick enough when she eventually looks back up at you. She bites her bottom lip, eyes turning glassy. 

"Feelings for me?" you ask, incredulously. She examines your face. Then nods, slightly. 

Oh God, you think. And it feels like someone has just cut a huge incision across your front and yanked out your stomach.  Your kidneys and intestines, too. Sitting up quickly, you drop your head into your hands, squeezing your eyes shut. You feel the sheets pulling from underneath you as Demi sits up as well. 

"I'm--I'm sorry," she chokes out. You feel her right beside you but she refuses to touch you. You suck in, moving one hand to cover your mouth, the other falling to grip the soft cotton. 

"Y/n?" she says again, sounding worried. "What's-...What's wrong?"

You groan, shaking your head from side to side. 

"Y/n, I--...I'm so sorry," she weeps, "I shouldn't have sa-aid anything..."

Your eyes snap open and your head snaps up, looking towards her. 

"No, no, no!" you plead, looking into her swimming pupils. "You haven't! You haven't done anything wrong!"

Her mouth hangs open a fraction and you can tell she's confused.