Fight pt. 4

Okay, hear me out.

There's more to this story.

So after you left Demi in pieces on the floor that day, you managed to make your way to Lucy's place, hanging your head as she opened the door. And you didn't care if it was against the rules when she opened her arms, pulling you into a secure hug, rocking you from side to side as you cried at her door. 

She let you stay over that night. And the next night. And for two weeks after that. Letting you get yourself back on your feet. Which you did. You got a better job that pays well, meaning you didn't feel so much like you were freefalling now that you lost the security of Demi's bank account. You had never taken advantage of it, mind you. But it gave you a sense of comfort to know that, if you were even in trouble, your financial problems would never have any catastrophic impact.

Which reminds you - Demi never changed her security codes or passwords. Well, not that you know of. You haven't needed to access any emergency account since you both got back--

Okay, well here's where you guys will say I told you so...

You went back to her. 

Demi, you mean...(who else, right?)

But don't jump down my throat just yet. 

 So here's the story: You were sitting cross-legged on Lucy's couch after coming back from a long shift. Lucy was doing the same, sifting through sheets of paper with patients' notes. A comfortable silence hung in the air like a dim chandelier, creating a sleepy atmosphere in the evening. 

And without warning, Lucy peered over the pages she was reading and dramatically inhaled before stating, 

"You should go and see her."

"Huh?"

"You should go over to Demi's house and see her," she said, all very matter-of-factly.

"Is this your way of telling me to move out?" you tease, still trying to catch up to her train of thought.

"Haha, no, of course not. I just think it will be good for you."

"Hm'kay...and why's that?"

"Because you need closure. I've seen it on your face the past few days. You need to hear her tell you the true story otherwise you'll never have the confidence to enter a new relationship."

"Is this some of your therapist bull?" you jab, trying your best to not see the logic in her words.

"It's been good enough for you," she retaliates, giving you a cheeky smile. 

"I'll think about it," you dismiss, looking back to your phone as you message this new girl who just started at your job. Eve. 

And somehow, 24 hours later, there you were dragging your heels back up the driveway you vowed never to do again. Going over Lucy's words, again and again, to persuade you to take those last few steps and ring the doorbell. 

You remember her face when she opened the door. Shock - obviously. And immediately a grateful smile as she swung the door wide open for you to head in. And you hadn't even said a word to her yet.

"It's so nice to see you, Y/n, how are you doing?" she asked, hanging back by the door as you stand opposite her. You remember feeling your hands shaking as you swiped the sweat off your palms on the back of your jeans. 

"I'm, um...I'm fine," you stutter back. You're not really sure what you were expecting. Nothing, to be honest. You hadn't let yourself think this far ahead knowing it was going to make you nervous.