Gang

Sitting in the back of the car, you kept your sunglasses on despite the fact the windows were tinted. You always felt slightly more insecure when returning from a delivery. Today went without a hitch though so Kyle should be happy about that. You hate it when you have to go back and tell him that something went wrong. He can get mad really easily. 

You don't think he will have anything to complain about tonight. He will be particularly pleased when he hears how you managed to get the case of money without being seen. That's your main job really: to not be seen, or if you were, maintain your appearance of an innocent young woman who would never be involved in a kidnap and ransom deal. You try to stay optimistic that Kyle also sees you as someone he loves...but it has started to wane over the past few months. He doesn't seem to care very much about your feelings anymore and every new job you go out on only solidifies your fear that he is only using you. Just like the people he holds for ransom. 

Not to sound like too much of a hypocrite. 

As the car rolls up in front of the detached suburban house, you reach across to the seat beside you lifting up the black leather case to make sure it was still as heavy as it had been when you first swiped it from the pre-determined location. You were able to keep your hands clean of the actual kidnap victim. You usually tried to stipulate that with Kyle. You only wanted to manhandle the inanimate objects - not the people traumatised by Kyle's horrific treatment while they were chained under the floorboards. The floorboards you were about to tread over right now. 

Not removing your sunglasses until you were safely through the front door, you stand still for a moment straining your ears to hear where Kyle might be. It was always wise to second guess him - to stay ahead of the game. You never knew when he might snap but you knew that with a whole fortune in your hands, he probably wouldn't risk being so temperamental with you this evening. The money - what he really loved - was your leverage for your own safety. 

Padding through to the kitchen, you plaster on a smile as Kyle comes into view. He's reclining back on one of the wooden chairs, balancing a tumbler of whisky between his thumb and forefinger. When he notices you walk in, you can see his eyes flick to your hands before returning to your gaze, pretending like the money wasn't his main concern.

"Y/n! Glad you're back, babe, I was worried," he winks, not bothering to get up from his seat.

Across the room, near the old door that leads out to the back garden are two of his friends who are often around. They usually get roped in to help Kyle with one of the pick-ups, you know, since it can be quite tricky kidnapping a person by yourself. He has never asked you to go and help him - not that you would agree to. Like you said before - you prefer to keep your hands clean (not that this money isn't dripping in a tar-like substance of crime and corruption). 

"Did you get it?" he continues.

"Sure did. Done and dusted," you exhale, lifting the heavy case and dropping it down on the table with a bang. As soon as you do, Kyle pulls himself up from his relaxed pose, immediately interested in the new toy in front of him. Unfastening the metal clips with a flick of his fingers, he lifts the top, displaying the numerous stacks of hundred dollar bills inside. His eyes widen at the sight as well as the two others by the door. You are sure this is one of the best catches they've reeled in. And you try not to think too much about what you could do with all that cash. 

"Good girl," he praises, kind of condescendingly. You've done this before. 

Pulling out another chair on the opposite side of the table, you collapse down onto it suddenly feeling all the exhaustion from the day. Rubbing your temples, he asks,

"You alright, babe?"

"Yeah, just tired."

"Don't worry, sweetcheeks, you'll have a couple of days off while we try and rack up a good sum for our new one," he smirks, casting a glance to the other two.