Chapter Three

Chapter three

Elayne jerked awake the next morning, a nightmare having woke her up. She laid in bed for a while, but after about thirty minutes of lying there and trying to go back to sleep, she decided to just get up. The first thing she did was get her uniform and go into the bathroom. She got dressed and brushed her teeth. After brushing her teeth, she looked in the mirror and tried to decide what she was going to do with her crazy curls. After running her brush through it, she pulled half of her hair up and tied a yellow ribbon around it.

Once satisfied with her appearance, Elayne went back into the dorm room, being extra quiet so she wouldn't wake the other girls. She grabbed her bag and made sure it was full of parchment, quills, and ink. She was about to pack some of her textbooks but realized she didn't know what her schedule would look like, so she decided to wait. She could always make a quick stop to pick up her books before she actually had her first class.

Sighing, she stacked her books on her bed and left her bag beside them. She then slipped on her shoes and tiptoed out of the room, closing the door quietly behind her.

As she walked out into the common room, Elayne noticed that there wasn't anyone in there yet. She didn't know whether to be relieved or a bit disappointed.

Shaking her head, she walked towards the entrance to the common room, which, from the inside was just a wooden wall. It opened up into the corridor as soon as she got close enough. She stepped through and started walking towards the great hall.

She got a little lost on the way, but eventually made it. When she first entered, she noticed a few students at the four different tables. There was only a couple of professors at the head table too.

As she made her way to the Hufflepuff table, she glanced over towards the Slytherin table. She froze when she saw Tom sitting there, a book propped up in front of him and some toast to the side.

Taking a deep breath, she walked towards the Slytherin table. She stopped right in front of him, on the opposite said. "Hello, Tom." She chewed on the inside of her cheek, waiting for his response.

Tom looked up and narrowed his eyes at her. "If I remember correctly, your table is across the hall."

Elayne glanced back at the Hufflepuff table. "Well, yes, I'm aware of that, but I thought maybe we could talk for a moment."

Tom sneered at her. "There is absolutely no reason for me to talk to you about anything."

Elayne lowered her gaze to the floor, feeling her eyes starting to tear up. She opened her mouth to say something, but was cut off by a male voice. "Lost, little badger?"

Elayne looked up and saw a group of four boys walking towards her. They were all very handsome. She took a couple of steps back and shook her head. "N-no. I was only trying to speak with Tom."

The boy with blonde hair and blue eyes laughed. "What could the two of you possibly have to talk about?" The others laughed along.

Biting her lip, she went to step around the boys and go to the Hufflepuff table, but one of them stopped her, grabbing her by the arm. He had light brown hair and grayish colored eyes. She tried to jerk away, but he tightened his grip. He opened his mouth to say something but was interrupted by another voice.

"Good morning, lady and gentlemen. Miss Scamander, I take it your first night went well?"

They all turned and saw Dumbledore standing there, an eyebrow raised. The boy holding her, Lestrange, let go of her arm.