Chapter Thirty-one

Chapter Thirty-one

October melted into November. November melted into December. Nothing eventful had happened in the past few months. Things had stayed steady.

It was currently the first Saturday of December and Elayne was waiting at the Slytherin table, waiting for Tom and the rest of the boys to come down so that they could eat breakfast and head to Hogsmeade.

Her eyes traveled over to the Ravenclaw table. A pair of chocolate-colored eyes met her's instantly.

Elayne quickly dropped her gaze to her hands, which were fidgeting in her lap.

Her bottom lip worked it's way between her teeth as she recalled Halloween night.

~*~

"What are you doing down here?" Elayne asked, eyebrows pinching together.

Wyatt walked towards her, a hand running through his brown hair.

"Can we talk?" He asked quietly, coming to a stop a few feet in front of her.

Elayne's head tilted to the side. "Why do you want to talk to me? You haven't wanted to talk these past few weeks. What makes now so different?"

"Elayne, please. Believe me when I say, I am truly sorry for not talking to you." Wyatt said.

Shaking her head, Elayne turned away from him. "Go away, Wyatt. Go back to your common room or to Slughorn's party. I honestly don't care where you go, just as long as it's away from me." She was about to pull her wand out so that she could enter her common room, but a hand stopped her.

Wyatt grabbed her shoulder roughly and spun her around. She dropped her shoes, as well as her candied apple, surprised by the sudden movement.

"Hey!" She shouted, upset by the fact that now she wouldn't be able to eat it.

"Listen to me!" The sixth year Ravenclaw whisper shouted at her, gripping her shoulders tightly.

Elayne flinched. His fingers were digging into her skin so hard that it hurt. "Let go of me." She said, her voice shaking.

Wyatt pushed her up against the wall next to the barrels, putting a hand over her mouth.

The small girl fought with all her might to get out from beneath him, but he was stronger than she was and he kept her in place.

"Stop fighting me! I'm not going to hurt you!" Wyatt hissed. "I just want to talk."

Teary blue eyes looked up at him, causing him to sigh.

"Look, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for how Evangline has treated you. I'm sorry for how I've acted." Wyatt said, moving his hand from Elayne's mouth.

Sniffling, Elayne reached up and wiped at her eyes. "You can't always apologize for the things Evangline does."

Wyatt ran a hand through his hair. "I know. It doesn't change the fact that I'm sorry for what she's done to you." His gaze dropped to the floor as he put his hands in his pants pockets.

Elayne stared at him for a moment before shaking her head. "You've decided to stay with her, haven't you?"

"I love her." Wyatt said softly, his eyes still glued to the floor. "I always have."

Elayne crossed her arms. "So, you were just playing with me? You didn't even really want to go out with me to begin with, did you?" Elayne spoke softly, feeling a new wave of tears start to pool in her eyes.

"Elayne..." Wyatt tried to begin.

Elayne stopped him, holding up a hand. "Save it, Wyatt." She chewed on the inside of her cheek, bowing her head. "Go back with to your common room. Go make out with that wretched girl."