Chapter Thirty-six

Chapter Thirty-six

Christmas had quickly turned into a disaster. After Queenie had stolen Tina's wand and pointed it at Tom, Newt and Tina had decided it would be best if Queenie went back to the hospital.

When the husband-and-wife duo had gotten back, they all opened presents.

Instead of being a loud and fun experience, it had been quiet. Everyone seemed to be in their own heads, most likely thinking over the events from that morning.

It was currently 11:53PM on December the thirtieth, which meant that there were only a few minutes left before it would officially be Tom's eighteenth birthday.

Everyone had turned in for the night. Or at least everyone had gone to their rooms.

Elayne was currently standing in front of the vanity in the bathroom, staring at her reflection.

She had tamed her hair, her curls laying nice and neat down her back. She had also applied a tiny bit of mascara and blush.

Dragging her eyes down her body, Elayne took in the sight of her long emerald green nightgown. It went all the way down to her ankles and was made from a silky material. There was lace around the neckline as well as the arms.

Nodding her head in approval, Elayne turned to walk out of the bathroom. She walked to her room and grabbed her robe, glancing at the clock. It currently read 11:58. She quickly grabbed a small box that was wrapped in silver paper from the end of her bed.

Smiling to herself, Elayne slipped on her robe and tip toed across the hall to Tom's room. She lightly knocked on his door, waiting to see if he would answer.

Elayne saw the light from the bedside lamp shinning out from under the door. She heard footsteps and then the door opened.

Tom raised an eyebrow at her, his eyes traveling up and down her body, taking in her appearance.

"What are you doing coming to my door at..." Tom looked over his shoulder, his brown eyes going to the clock on the desk. "Midnight?"

A shy smile made its way onto Elayne's lips. "We'll... I just wanted to say happy birthday!"

"Oh, bloody hell. It's the thirty first already?" Tom groaned, running a hand through his inky curls.

Elayne nodded, glancing down the hall, towards her brother's room. "May I come in for a bit?" She whispered.

Taking a step back, Tom motioned for her to come in. Once she had stepped into the room, Tom closed the door gently behind her.

Elayne shuffled over to the bed and sat down, turning to smile at Tom.

Tom walked over and sat down next to her.

The pair sat in silence for a few moments before Elayne spoke.

"I have a present for you. Although, I'm afraid it might not be as good as the pen I gave you for Christmas." She said quietly, chewing on her bottom lip.

Glaring at the small girl beside him, Tom reached up and brushed his thumb over her bottom lip. "Stop doing that."

"Sorry..." Elayne muttered, holding out the box she had brought with her. "It's not much, but I hope you like it!"

Tom took the present from her and started peeling back the paper. He opened the top of the box and raised an eyebrow at what was laying inside of it.

It was a gray and emerald green scarf. It looked to be hand knitted. He pulled it out of the box and held it up.

"I knitted it myself." Elayne said, softly. "There are a couple of places that I messed up on, but I don't think they're very visible. I hope anyway..."